SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-05-06, 03:38 PM   #1
Rob_

Default Engine failure...

Hello there,

I found this website doing a search for engine parts.

Over the past 5 years, I've been happy with my curvy SV. I do ride and work it a lot and was shocked to hear my Suzuki garage tell me that the engine is now dead. The con rod has gone through and it is not repairable. They've suggested I hunt around for a second-hand engine which I'm now doing.

Just wondering if Suzuki's have this kind of reliability problem. I suppose on looking back over the 30,000 miles I've done, I've ended up stranded on the roadside at least once a year for some reason or other, but nothing as major as this.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 31-05-06, 03:46 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

It all depends on servicing, and general riding style etc, but as a whole they are pretty tought, Many an engine on here that has covered over the 50000 mark, mine on 44000 miles.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 04:01 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I know of one that's cleared 100,000 on totally original parts... Just regular oil changes, really.

What usually does in SV engines is oil starvation to the bottom end, it seems- hard tuned ones can break rods and cranks but even that's quite uncommon. Wheelies do SVs no favours- not to say that's what happened here of course.

What's actually happened to it? Has it spun a bottom end bearing?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 04:46 PM   #4
Rob_

Service history - completely up to date and fully on schedule. It was just due its 30K service (just another week). I've always had a Suzuki garage take care of it for me.

Half-way through a journey, it started losing power, and then growling under strain. It was really hard work trying to get it about 40mph and I thought the chain was loose. I tightened the chain and took up the slack - no problem there.

The engine seized up and the rear wheel locked at 40mph - fish-tailed for 20 metres. I held on counterbalancing the swings and saved it from going over to one side. Engine died, refused to start. I was a bit shaken up, but still thrilled that I didn't crash!

Haven't had a detailed look at the disassembled engine - left that for the garage. The mechanic said it looked like the engine had been exploded with the con rod going through it.

Guess I'm a bit gutted that it happened so early. I'd have been happy to stick with the SV for another year...
Old 31-05-06, 05:27 PM   #5
RandyO

I have only heard of problems with SVs that have been stunted or raced

as Northy posted, I heve over 100k on my nekid 99 SV (128,400 as of today) on the original engine, no work other than normal maintenance per schedule in the ownsers manual, no more, no less. I runs as good or better than the day I bought it in 99
Old 31-05-06, 05:43 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

This sounds like one off damage rather than wear.Rod through the cases is usually a faulty rod or overreving surely?

BTW Ebay is worth a look for SV engines.One recently went for just over £100 and another for £275 a month or so ago.
Old 31-05-06, 05:46 PM   #7
motorolly

From the sound of it its like it ran out of oil and nipped up as the excess heat caused components to expand (generating more friction, more heat and more friction). Well done keeping it up, if in doubt always pull the clutch (two strokers will be familiar with this!).
Plenty bikes can nip up and still run ok when then cool down. The damage would have been if it kept being forced, which unfortunately might have happened.
When I melted my big end it was on the track under full load. Lack of oil made the shells touch and you could hear it thunking together. Without an audible clunking before it stopped I'd think it might just be pistons and barrels. Get a good look at it in the workshop (or at least a better description) and if the crank is ok its probably repairable. Crank repairs are possible but very expensive.
Old 31-05-06, 05:54 PM   #8
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_
I've always had a Suzuki garage take care of it for me. ...
i wonder why it blew up then big suzuki garages big mistake
Old 31-05-06, 06:06 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

A number of SVs have put up big mileages with no attention other than servicing, one I look after has now got 105,000 on it, the motor has never been touched, even the clutch is original, which considering it spent a significant part of it's life in town is quite good.

It's easy to say you were just unlucky - but it really could be that simple.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 11:37 AM   #10
ash

One thing to smile about at least..... better for it to go now than just AFTER your service !!!