SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-05-18, 02:06 AM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default licence renewal

IIR when they introduced the photo card driving licence they said that there would be no charge for the 10 year renewal apart from being responsible for the photo. or am i dreaming...

to top that off the currant licences are euro so what happens with brexit.. will i need to renew my licence again due to not being european... will it be free...

i'm due to renew my licence is August.. so 7 months afterwords my euro licence will no longer technically be valid as will everyone else's.

There'sa may be trouble ahead... see what i did there.. lol

massive queues at the PO, DVLA swamped, mistakes made rendering licences invalid and fines being issued as a result (try proving your entitlement), more public money wasted that could have been spent on services....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 07:25 AM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: licence renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

massive queues at the PO, DVLA swamped, mistakes made rendering licences invalid and fines being issued as a result (try proving your entitlement), more public money wasted that could have been spent on services....
That happens now of course Swansea inherited the whole operation so I've no local office anymore... I dread doing anything licence related

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 07-05-18 at 07:26 AM.
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 07:36 AM   #3
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
(try proving your entitlement)
ALWAYS keep the old licence until you've confirmed that all appear on the new one! ALWAYS
ALWAYS !
Old 07-05-18, 11:09 AM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
ALWAYS keep the old licence until you've confirmed that all appear on the new one! ALWAYS
ALWAYS !
I'm guessing that the renewal form says "include your old licence in the attached envolope along with your application form", or words to that effect. In which csae you could claim you cannot find it but include a note to say you know it is about to expire and if it does turn up it will not be valid in any case. Then you can compare the entitlements to be sure.

This is probably illegal though for some reason or other...
Old 07-05-18, 11:12 AM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Same thing probably applies if you came here on Empire Windrush ?
Old 07-05-18, 02:13 PM   #6
PyroUK
Mega Poster

I can't remember which way round it is, but if you have the "new" RFID style passport, you can use one to renew the other.

So either passport details and pic for the licence or vice versa online.

I did mine a few years back, one photo did the lot and the 2nd one was done online.

I think it's passport to do licence but I can't be 100% sure. Either way it makes it a lot easier.

And tbf I doubt anyone will do anything about it considering that there probably still thousands of the old paper only licences still being used

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-18, 05:15 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

unless europe approve it next year then there will have to be a change of licence and passport. if you go to europe after brexit and you still have a euro licence/passport than you can be refused entry. come to think of it this would be the same all over the world. our currant passports/licences will be null and void all over the world.

the europeans are pizzed off with us right now and they will do their hardest to make life difficult. they look at us as racists.

come to think of it.. what if your abroad and the changes happen, you could depending on the country be imprisoned for false ID, dont say it wont happen as there are a lot of country's out there that hate the brits and any excuse will do. let alone dual citizenship passports.

"dear sir/madam you cant leave our country as you dont have a valid passport so we are now going to treat you as an illegal immigrant therefore we are going to place you in a camp till you can prove otherwise".
Old 07-05-18, 05:54 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Your passport is issued by UK government following the guidelines on its contents and format set out by Brussels. It will not suddenly cease to be a legal document just because we leave EU. Project fear would have certainly picked up on that one and weaponised it before now.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-05-18 at 05:56 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 06:08 PM   #9
Talking Heads

Seems some people might need to stop reading/watching/listening to the MSM.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 06:48 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes our passports and licences are issued by the UK gov but its a euro passport/licence not a UK one. the UK part is the entitled country of the European union part. they were issued under the freedom of movement act within Europe. we will no longer be part of that so the passports and licences issued under such act/laws will be null and void unless the UK gov and the rest of the members of the European Union can come to an agreement about it.

you cant have a legal document of such importance as a passport or driving licence with the wrong wording giving entitlement that is not true. for them to stay the way they are we must stay part of the freedom of movement act within Europe. as thats the entitlement of the documents for the holder.

we cant have our cake and eat it no matter how big a cake Westminster make.

Last edited by Bibio; 07-05-18 at 06:50 PM.