SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-21, 02:13 PM   #391
S5MAT

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum.

I went to give this a try yesterday and when I went to do the adjustment, my line on the dash was at the bottom I stead of in the middle.

Do I adjust the Throttle position sensor so the line comes to the middle and then go from there?

My bike is a SV650s 2010

Thanks!
S5MAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 04:36 PM   #392
glang

Ive just done mine and first got it to the middle position then gradually increased the revs to see when the line moves to the top. To ensure the bike rides more smoothly this should occur soon after starting to open the throttle say before reaching 2000rpm. Its a bit fiddly but eventually you can get it right and the sensor screws tight...

The rumour is that the injection starts to add more fuel when the line moves to the top position but I must admit Ive never read what it means when the bar is in the lowest position!

Last edited by glang; 29-08-21 at 04:39 PM.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 07:30 PM   #393
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I found that doing up the screw threw off the setting. So I left it fairly tight and tapped it (lightly) with a tack hammer to set it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 08:06 PM   #394
S5MAT

I should add that the line being at the bottom not the middle was, just how it was set. I haven't touched it yet as I wanted to check that the process I'm going to do, is correct.

So slightly adjust the sensor so the lines in the middle and then go from there?
Old 29-08-21, 08:39 PM   #395
glang

The free to download Suzuki workshop manual just says make sure its in the mid position as soon as you put it in dealer mode and turn on the ignition. It makes no mention of any further adjustment....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 08:47 PM   #396
S5MAT

Also I'm assuming on a 2010 SV650s there isn't any idle adjustment screw like on older models? That's my final question and then I'm ready to tackle this tomorrow.
Old 29-08-21, 10:33 PM   #397
Bibio
Mega Poster

i've done this a few times now and i have discovered that you dont even need the bike running. its a Throttle Position Sensor.

get the line in the middle.
turn the throttle to take up the slack in the cable.
turn the throttle so the line moves with the slightest turn of the throttle.. or turn the sensor till it just moves the line upwards then back off a hair. check by turning the throttle that the line moves up just as the throttle is turned.

if you want to do it with the engine running then go ahead. your looking for the line moving upwards with the slightest of revs. remember to turn the bars side to side after making the adjustment to check its still ok.

the only downside of this adjustment is that there is a lot less engine braking.

if the line is in the middle your pretty much good to go but a small tweak will make a difference at things like roundabouts etc.etc.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-22, 10:19 PM   #398
EssEllTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the only downside of this adjustment is that there is a lot less engine braking.

if the line is in the middle your pretty much good to go but a small tweak will make a difference at things like roundabouts etc.etc.

Downside? Sounds like an upside to me! I'm finding the mad engine braking and lumpiness at low revs a real PITA, especially on roundabouts like you mention. Will be giving this a check as soon as.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-22, 06:43 PM   #399
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You'll grow to love that engine braking. Immensly useful to control and adjust your speed through corners. It'll make you much more stable on the throttle too.

Lumpiness at low revs is always a PITA though
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-22, 06:11 PM   #400
EssEllTwo

Finally got round to doing this today. Wow! Night. And. Day. The engine braking is still there to some degree but the horrible snatchiness while trying to negotiate slow speed corners has completely gone. I took the bike for a spin after setting and even just coming up to the first junction it was noticeable. I then took it to the small roundabout where it first tried to pitch me off due to the jerkiness, smooth as silk around it.

When I first check the setting, the line was not moving until 3500rpm. I managed to get it around the 1450 mark. One thing I noticed is my SL2 had only one screw on the TPS body. It was easy enough to loosen (had the right security Torx bit and a 3/8 ratchet), no french cheese on this one.

Big thanks to the forum and this thread for getting my confidence on the bike, I can now fling it round corners where before I was feather the clutch and throttle like made and fearing tipping myself off. I'm declaring undying love to the SV just yet though, as gorgeous as she looks - the suspension needs sorting first. K Tech springs are ready to go, then I'll decide on whether to buy a new shock (pretty much sure I will but one step at a time).
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote