SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-22, 06:43 PM   #5671
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Welsh whisky. Defo a smile.

On our family holiday to Conwy last summer Lady Poppy bought some miniatures of Penderyn single malt whisky from the tourist info - I got them in my Chrimbo stocking. The sherrywood finished was nice, the peated was even nicer and tonight I'm finishing off the set with the exceptionally nice madierawood finished. I will be looking for a proper bottle of this one for sure! Happy Sunday everyone!!
Old 24-01-22, 09:15 AM   #5672
Craig380
Mega Poster

I got a bottle of Woodford double-oaked for Christmas, and it's my new favourite. Incredibly rich and complex.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-22, 09:47 AM   #5673
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Welsh whisky. Defo a smile.

On our family holiday to Conwy last summer Lady Poppy bought some miniatures of Penderyn single malt whisky from the tourist info - I got them in my Chrimbo stocking. The sherrywood finished was nice, the peated was even nicer and tonight I'm finishing off the set with the exceptionally nice madierawood finished. I will be looking for a proper bottle of this one for sure! Happy Sunday everyone!!
Penderyn is quite a nice whisky, although needs aging a little more I think - they produce it without age statement so no idea of the age of the spirit blended to make a bottle. Its kinda in the Speyside style, so pretty easy going. They have opened a new distillery in Llandudno, so it will be interesting to see the variation in the spirit when that is released to market.

Iechyd da!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-22, 06:03 PM   #5674
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
. They have opened a new distillery in Llandudno, so it will be interesting to see the variation in the spirit when that is released to market.

Iechyd da!
Sounds like a perfect excuse to visit the area again. Hoorah! Quite fancy anotther wander around the Great Orme too - did the cable car last time so it's the tramways turn next.
Old 25-01-22, 08:48 AM   #5675
Luckypants
Mega Poster

The chippy next to the main tram station in town always used to be very good, but I've not been for probably 3 years now. (Conwy is preferred for chippy tea on the quay side)
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-22, 08:14 PM   #5676
Chris_SVS

Although I've been considered permanant at work since the day I started, my contract was amended today to reflect.

I pushed for this on the basis that the company need to value me, my knowledge and experience. With a view to buying a house this year I wanted job security on paper, even though my union rep told me repeatedly it would never happen. Big middle finger to you!

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 26-01-22 at 08:21 PM.
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-22, 11:17 PM   #5677
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Good news Chris. Crazy that it's become normal to have to push for any security in a job now. I had to push for 10 years to finally be employed rather than self employed in my job.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-22, 11:16 AM   #5678
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Good news Chris. Crazy that it's become normal to have to push for any security in a job now. I had to push for 10 years to finally be employed rather than self employed in my job.
Luckily for me there's been a massive shortage in licenced operatives so while I could walk into a new job this afternoon, companies have had to bend over backwards to keep good staff on. Could be seen as a risky hand to play but it paid off this time

Part of the issue is when pubs etc closed and door supervisors/security guards were surplus to requirement, a lot of them changed industry entirely opting for IMO harder work in big retail warehouses/Amazon etc for slightly better £.. The new training and refreshers damaged the industry too, however I feel that it's a good thing as there are far too many idiots in this job!
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-22, 12:00 PM   #5679
Seeker
Mega Poster

Reality meets fiction with the "Vimes Boot Index".
For non-Discworld people - Terry Pratchett wrote about Captain Sam Vines, head of the police in Ankh-Morpork. Vimes said rich people were rich because they spent less money and reasoned it thus: a rich person would buy a $50 pair of boots that would last for many years, a poor person (like Vimes, initially) would buy $10 boots which started leaking after 2 years and would need to be replaced. So the rich person spends less money.

Why the VBI? Inflation figures of 5.4% don't paint an accurate picture if you're living on a tight budget. Jack Monroe (who started this campaign) points out that the cheapest pasta has risen 141% in a year, rice has risen 344%, baked beans 45% etc. His twitter feed lists more examples:
https://tinyurl.com/2ej63rac

Anyway the ONS has agreed and is going to revise the way inflation is calculated based on food/income levels.
Old 27-01-22, 02:50 PM   #5680
Bibio
Mega Poster

i dont know where Jack shops but jezzz she talks a lot of borlox. media panicking the public yet again. yes the price of a shop has increased but not by the amounts that is stated in that bloggg... what has increased in the past two years and more so recently is fuel.

we all knew that we were going to have price increases after brexit (apart from the brexiteers).... its just that covid came along as well.. so what do people expect??
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote