SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-03-08, 09:52 PM   #1
Troy

Default Accidentally splashed some oil... How to clean off tyre?

Hi everyone,

I accidentally kicked the pan I was using when changing my oil the other day, and it splashed hot, dirty, used oil all over my rear tyre. I wiped it up as best I could, but I still see a few small spots here and there where it looks like it might have soaked into the rubber. What's a good way to clean it up? Very light detergent and lots and lots of water? Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
-Troy
Old 27-03-08, 10:05 PM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: Accidentally splashed some oil... How to clean off tyre?

I used detergent when i had a redex spillage and all was fine. Some people might say it does bad things to the rubber compound but once can't hurt.
Old 27-03-08, 10:08 PM   #3
Stig

Just pretend you have a brand new tyre fitted and need to get it scrubbed in again. I am sure you have only spilled oil on a small section of the tyre. It will be nothing more than going over a drain cover when cranked over. It'll possibly slide for a fraction of a moment and then regain traction.

Personally, if and when I do the same thing, I wipe the area with a clean rag and forget about it.
Old 27-03-08, 10:20 PM   #4
Troy

Arighty... Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I'll just give it another scrub with some water only to ease my mind and then go for a ride as if I had new tires.

Thanks!
-Troy
Old 28-03-08, 12:31 AM   #5
ejohnh

I try anything that comes to hand. Chain cleaner, engine degreaser. I tried Carbon tet one time and it seemed to eat the rubber. Hot water and wash up liquid should do the trick though.
Old 28-03-08, 09:27 AM   #6
New Leaf

wd40 is good for cleaning up oil is it not?
Old 28-03-08, 11:20 AM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf View Post
wd40 is good for cleaning up oil is it not?
Possibly, but it's not something you want on your tyres anyway.

Hot water & fairy.
Old 28-03-08, 05:14 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
Just pretend you have a brand new tyre fitted and need to get it scrubbed in again. I am sure you have only spilled oil on a small section of the tyre. It will be nothing more than going over a drain cover when cranked over. It'll possibly slide for a fraction of a moment and then regain traction.

Personally, if and when I do the same thing, I wipe the area with a clean rag and forget about it.
+1. I've managed to get both oil and chainwax on my rear tyre on seperate occassions. In both instances, cleaning didn't get it all off, but within a 20 mile ride (could have been much sooner, but perhaps I was being overly cautious) treating it like a new tyre being scrubbed in worked fine. Like scrubbing in, I'd only lean it over further very gradually- 100 miles with the bike upright then suddenly trying to get your knee down is a recipe for disaster.