SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-09, 03:16 AM   #1
Rampant

Default sport touring

I am thinking of hunting down an SV650 ABS to use as a mini sport-tourer. I mainly ride to/from work (half an hour) and take trips that are form 1 to 4-5 hours one way (with stops along the way)

I am a BIG dude, at 6'1" and about 370lbs.

Right now, I ride a vulcan 900 cruiser, but I am not happy with its performance (braking, acceleration, or handling).

I want something that I can ride year in and year out.
Old 19-10-09, 04:03 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: sport touring

Greetings, as I see this is your first post,I'm guessing (as you don't have a location in your profile) you're from across the pond ?

370lb is what 26 and a bit stone, you are a big chap, the SV will manage, but it'll "blunt" the performace somewhat, to be honest the main redeaming feature of the bike is it's light flickable nature, suspension and brakes aren't the best around and you'll be way outside the standard setup range, so money will be required to make it anywhere near good. I'd suggest if the style appeals then perhaps the sv1000 would be a better option.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 11:10 AM   #3
metalhead19

One thing to also point out is that i have heard few taller ppl (over the 6ft marker) saying they need or want to either raise the seat or lower the pegs for extra leg comfort on the longer trips, but i guess its just down to personal taste and comfort.
Old 19-10-09, 12:25 PM   #4
Tallguy

Me 6ft 5in and large-ish build and a K3 650 S - I have a raised screen which is still too low for me, and the pegs are a little high but OK for an hour or two before I need to stretch.

I find wrist/hand ache the bit that annoys me most, but I haven't changed my clip-ons from standard, I hear HeliBars are good but can't afford them yet!

The naked 650 has "proper" bars and the footpegs are about an inch lower than the "S".

+1 on the SV1000 suggestion.

Hope that helps Rampant with your decision making.
Old 19-10-09, 12:28 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

SV1000 suggestion is great, but the tank range is noted as being...not great, so whilst it could play the part of a good tourer, it might get annoying having to stop for fuel every ~100 miles.

If i was going the 1000 route, i'd get the fiared one, then convert the clipons to handlebars for the upright riding position and get a flip-up screen. Panniers and topbox on, bellypan, loud exhausts, symtec grip heaters, and some handgaurds or muffs for when its really cold...jobs a good 'un!
Old 19-10-09, 12:30 PM   #6
Rampant

Yep, I am across the 'pond'.

I want the 650 because of range and the available ABS.
Old 19-10-09, 12:52 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

once again not to discourage you from the SV650, but given your critiria perhaps something like the Honda Deauville would suit better, more relaxed riding position, now with ABS and a bigger engine .

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 02:31 PM   #8
BomBalong

im 6'4'' and i ride a naked sv, and as tallguy says the bars on the naked are alot more comfortable, but i could either do with the tank being slightly raised or having the seat cut down, only a tiny bit though.
Old 19-10-09, 02:55 PM   #9
keith_d
Mega Poster

I'm thinking about getting a sports tourer next but wanted something a bit more comfortable than my SV. Top of my list is the Honda VFR800, which is also available with ABS, though it's not a common option over here. The VFR is more powerful than the SV which might make it more suitable for a larger rider.

There's also a new model due soon, so you might be able to cut a deal.

Regards,

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote