SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-20, 08:31 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Thoughts on the GS ?

Bit of an odd one. Anyone got any thoughts on the BMW 1200 GS?

Be interested to hear from people who have experienced riding them and people who haven't. Anyone considered owning one or had one and got rid of it?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 08:57 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thoughts on the GS ?

Biggest concern I'd have is with potential very expensive faults. There have been a number of big issues with various years/models. You'll find plenty of folk who have done a gazillion miles on one with absolutely no issues, on the other hand you'll also find horror stories.
A good friend had a R1200RT, not exactly the same animal I know, but there were several significant issues before he p/ex'd it for a Tiger.
If you go in with your eyes open then fine. Plenty about to choose from.
Old 14-02-20, 08:58 AM   #3
shiftin_gear98

Are you looking for another bike already Adam?
Old 14-02-20, 11:31 AM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Are you looking for another bike already Adam?
Not really. I test rode a couple and was quite surprised. Also quite surprised how much they divide people's opinion. Seem to be a lot of stigma around them. I test rode one regular GS and then an GSA (Adventure version) a few days later. The basic older one (2013) was loads of fun. The modern Adventure (201 bored the hell out of me. Too detached from the road and loads of electronics going on, TFT dash etc. I felt like I was overseeing a bike that was riding itself or a cruise liner. The basic older one though was quite nice with it's rumbles and clunks and rode nothing like I expected. Felt really light and a really visceral response. Hated the first half hour on it and then suddenly clicked with it and loved it. Very different to any other bike I've ridden.

Older ones are quite affordable to buy too as the market is so flooded with them, but affording to buy one and affording to run and keep one are two different things with BMWs it seems. Makes me wonder why so many people sell them though. They're really easy going to ride and comfortable but maybe that translates into boring after not too long on them.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 12:11 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

I wonder if it's the difference in BMW's perceived reliability and actual reliability. Years ago German engineering was excellent but then they seemed to embrace complexity in all their products and reliability suffered but their reputation lives on.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r1...+drive+failure
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r1200gs+head+shake
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r1200gs+abs+failure

I wondered if the servicing was expensive (so people sold before they were due) but it doesn't seem that bad although valve checks were every 6000 miles. You see a lot of Street Triples sold before 12k for that reason (12k service was about £650 on the 675).
Old 14-02-20, 02:59 PM   #6
Chris_SVS

Heard a few horror tales of final drive failures etc which lead into £thousands, never really been a common cause. A fella I know had a load of bother with his 1200 yet he's meticulous in servicing and maintenance, so it's not necessarily down to poor upkeep, perhaps poor design. It got chopped in for a V-Strom which has been faultless.

I loved the GS when I rode one, easily the most comfortable and surprising bike I've ever thrown a leg over. It has no business being a jack of all trades but somehow just thunders along no bother, 2up loaded touring or playing at off-road trail places.

I would consider buying one at my ripe old age of 31, if I had the space to keep it. Tracer is already ropey on the shed floor
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 05:04 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I wonder if it's the difference in BMW's perceived reliability and actual reliability. Years ago German engineering was excellent but then they seemed to embrace complexity in all their products and reliability suffered but their reputation lives on.
That is the story of todays German cars as well, living on their past reputation for reliability..

Just like the German tanks introduced later in WW2, the armies chief gripe was 'they use too much fuel and break down too often' basically they were too complex for the battlefield and spent a lot of their time broken down awaiting spares that never arrived.

Plus it is a brave man who would take a 600lb bike off-road. I was talking to a rider at a bike show, he said its a good road bike but I am never going off-road with it again.

if you want to go off-road the 800 probably better, but Rotax not BMW engine.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 14-02-20 at 05:06 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 07:18 PM   #8
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I rode my friends 1200 adventure. It felt like a chopper after the VFR. I've long legs but I struggled with the height of it. Overall I can't see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not a fan of adventure bikes in general though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 14-02-20, 10:38 PM   #9
chris8886
Mega Poster

Supervox has/had one, don't know how much he uses the forum these days though, so send him a PM and he may well get an email notification....
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 11:20 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

ok i'm a bit one eyed at the moment (****ed as afatrt) but i would suggest that you try one.. no point in bashing them on single track and more suited to MW crusing. if you want a off road laner then go for something lighter in weight as your only doing 20-30mph. if you want an all round tourer then go for a VFR...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote