SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-07-09, 01:35 PM   #1
kwak zzr

Default compact digital camera buying advice

i have about £80 - £120 to spend on a new compact digital camera to replace my old fuji 3mill finepix model, question is i know naff all about cameras the market in my price range is a mine field with 100,s of models to choose from, can anyone give me any buying advice or recommend one which you know is good? fankoo o kind org
Old 04-07-09, 01:48 PM   #2
Gemaroo

Default Re: compact digital camera buying advice

I don't know much about the technical side but I've had a Casio Exilim and currently have a Panasonic Lumix and can recommend both. I don't really think you can go massively wrong as they all have pretty much the same features, but the Panasonics have a very good quality lens.
Old 04-07-09, 01:49 PM   #3
kwak zzr

ive seen a panasonic for about £120 they seem a quality camera, do you get shutter lagg on all digital cameras or can i get rid of that by spending more?
Old 04-07-09, 03:26 PM   #4
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

anything canon nuff said

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 06:58 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

See what gets recommended on dpreview and also try Steve's digicams . Both are pretty straight reliable sites for opinions and views.

dpreview has real owner feedback if you search through individual camera model details, often very useful for real-world opinions.

I like Canon stuff, but many compacts are really very good these days, a friend bought a very cheap digicam for her daughter a while ago, around £30 I think, and it takes truly nice pics because it has a decent lens, simple as that. Knobs and whistles can sometimes be overkill if all you really want is a point and shoot.
Old 13-07-09, 03:26 PM   #6
kwak zzr

i decided on the casio exilim EX-Z100 in the end due to it being 10mill pixels, 4x optical and a wide angle facility, at £127 from argos it seemed like a good deal.
Old 13-07-09, 03:28 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
ive seen a panasonic for about £120 they seem a quality camera, do you get shutter lagg on all digital cameras or can i get rid of that by spending more?
You'll get it on all the compact small camera's I suspect, the only way I can think you'll reduce it is to spend more money on a "Bridge Camera" or go the whole hog and get a DSLR, which you'll struggle to do on your budget...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-09, 03:29 PM   #8
kwak zzr

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...z100exz200.asp
Old 13-07-09, 03:31 PM   #9
kwak zzr

whats surprised me fizz is the lack of lagg on the little exilim, it seems to shoot straight away
Old 13-07-09, 03:36 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
whats surprised me fizz is the lack of lagg on the little exilim, it seems to shoot straight away
Cool, TBH I'm not surprised, march of technology etc etc, The shutter lag was the main thing that made me go DSLR in the end, I got so fedup with taking picture of grass / tarmac and no bike when I went to places like Donnington / Thruxton to watch the bike racing

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote