SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-12-09, 10:25 PM   #41
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Default Re: auschwitz sign stollen!

Whilst in Germany, I too was posted (stationed as the older folk know it as.) very very near Bergan Belson. I've visited that place and slept over very near, Range 5C and their it is a very spooky place...

Every time I visited I tried to see what good would come of such a place.
In Gorni Vakuf, Bosnia back in 1993 I saw things that would most folk hurl, and believe me I was very close.
We humans are a strange breed... when Every side thinks they are right in doing what they do. And being on no ones side but Piece Keeping... you get to see more.

Last edited by Richie; 18-12-09 at 10:29 PM.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-09, 10:46 PM   #42
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Bosnia back in 1993 I saw things that would most folk hurl, and believe me I was very close.
I have a friend who was out there with the engineers.
Bosnia has affected him deeply.
I cant imagine having to deal with some of the things hes mentioned seeing.
Old 18-12-09, 10:51 PM   #43
tonyk
Mega Poster

In my own humble opion, if they get rid of the whole site...
some one wil say it NEVER happened..
thousands died, millions died, men, women and children.....
this is proof..
how can we make fun of this topic ? i do not know...
may be its just me.
may be i just take life too serious.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...

Last edited by tonyk; 18-12-09 at 10:53 PM.
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-09, 11:02 PM   #44
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

yes Tony, you're right that thousands if not millions died. So did just as many Native Americans, do they have "shrines" to the testimony for them to mourn at? Or how about the Aborigines?

Over the centuries us humans have wiped out plenty of each other in plenty of unjust wars. Those who fought in The Great War sincerely believed they were fighting a war to end all future wars. Did it?

So maintaining this one symbol from one war has not achieved anything of value but to mourn for one religious group in the main who use it to justify many of the wrongs they are currently inflicting on their own neighbours. Nazi's are still hunted to this day for the war crimes they commited many years ago, only the other day was one put on trial.

Yet how about the war criminal Tony BLiar? He recently admitted he lied about WMDs and would have found some other justification for his illegal invasion of a country that was of no threat to him or his "buddies" let alone the region (and some would even argue was maintaining some form of order in the region too) yet he walks free, gets paid a million dollars by the yanks and given a feking medal, the highest they can award for his work done for their country.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P

Last edited by Spiderman; 18-12-09 at 11:04 PM.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-09, 11:35 PM   #45
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
One argument for it being a museum is that we humans can see how not to treat each other due to racial or religious differences. Sadly, it means nothing to those in power who perpetrate illegal wars all over the world and run places like Abu Graib and Gunatanamo. If they do it to their "enemies" its ok, apparently
Ah but they've got God on their side.
Oh wait...

What a sick one. But if I had to bet, this will just be some nutters who want to offend the maximum number of people. Looks like they've succeeded.

Out of curiosity, if someone reposts this, would it be bad taste to reply in the usual way?
Old 18-12-09, 11:49 PM   #46
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Out of curiosity, if someone reposts this, would it be bad taste to reply in the usual way?
Good point, well made!
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-09, 11:51 PM   #47
no_akira

I'm reading Primo Levi's book ("If this is a man") about his time in Auschwitz in the last year of the war at the moment. He was an italian jewish chemist with nine lives. Its not a happy story. Basically the Russians are days away and the whole camp evacuates leaving behind only 2 sick huts, the very ill and dying. His suffering from scalet fever so gets left behind. The description of conditions in these 2 huts over those few days is as close to hell on earth as your ever going to get. But by a strange stroke of luck, his being left behind is actually what saves him.

They had a name for people that entered the camp and where unable to adjust to the loss of everything, they called them "maussin" it basically means 'walking dead' they wouldnt be around long. You had to claw yourselve a niche, even if this meant somebody else would be killed because of of it.
The camp processed 1.1 million peoples of all descriptions, when the Russians came through the gate there was less than 7,000 prisoners alive ! 110,000 had left a few days earlier on a death march for which very few survived!

On top of all this its January, its minus -2 (snowing ) they haven't eaten for days ( its normally soup ) and all there wearing is strippy cotton pj's with no shoes !
Its all very sobbering stuff in this time of plenty!

I'm always very interested in this type of story as i've a great uncle over in Grantham who is 96 and still spritly ( 4 years of calorific restriction ) but was one of the 40K left behind at Dunkirk in June 1940, they are forced to walk across to east germany and then keep getting moved further into eastern europe.

A very poignent story he told is in the final days of the war, they are also on a forced march away from the approaching Russians. A young american fighter pilot is captured and joins there party, He is like some shining god (well feed, larger than life, hope of the new world order ) in the midst of their raggedness. They wake one morning and he has died from hypothermia. His body hadnt been able to adjust to the harsh conditions that they had all over time adapted to. The transition from Prosperous America to medieval europe was just too great. i think that morning there hopes of survival just took another dive.
Old 19-12-09, 03:41 PM   #48
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Actually rumour has it that this sign has been stolen by the management where I work and is going to form a new gate and portal as inspiration to the workforce.
Old 20-12-09, 06:12 PM   #49
sv_rory

All of my older family were killed in the concentration camps. My family came from poland czestochowa, The only person who wasn't killed was my great grandfather who came to london before this happened. everybody else was killed through the regime.

We even have a postcard here at home sent to my nan from a member of family in poland during the war crying for help.
Old 21-12-09, 12:30 PM   #50
blueto

found it then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8423827.stm