SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-09, 10:16 PM   #1
pinman

Default MOT failure

hi peeps. 04 sv650 failed MOT today on a rear tyre(got new tyres today 1 hour after test) a rear reflector and rear footrests????
my bike has the single seat conversion so the bike couldn't carry any passengers which is why i have removed my left passenger footrest. But the bloke said "rear passenger foot rests are not required by law, however if they are not present then there must be a structure available for a passenger to support his/her weight i.e. a grabrail"(pretty much word for word). so there is no rear seat on the bike, so no chance of carrying passengers, but he wants to see a grab rail or 2 footrests for the passengers i will not be carrying!!!!

anybody had same thing on there MOT test?
Old 21-04-09, 10:21 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: MOT failure

he sounds a right muppet.

mine passed last week with a cowl and no rear footpegs or grabrail

where are you?

as someone may be able to recomed somewhere

Last edited by hovis; 21-04-09 at 10:33 PM.
Old 21-04-09, 10:31 PM   #3
Woz

So what if the bike is designed as a single seater? Sounds like he needs to re-train.

There's an MOT station near me that mainly does cars but will do bikes to fill time. One of my bikes failed because there was a hole in the exhaust. On closer inspection when I got home, it was the bloody drain hole. Gave it a clean and took it back two days later. Told the bloke it was a new one and he passed it Go figure.

The moral... find a bike friendly MOT station.
Old 21-04-09, 10:37 PM   #4
Jamiebridges123

It is not a legal requirement to have rear footpegs. The guy is a moron and I'd strongly express your feelings and then go elsewhere. This is not a proper bike MOT centre I take it..?
Old 21-04-09, 10:49 PM   #5
pinman

i got it tested in coventry and the re-test is free. i knew it would need tyres so knew i would have to go back to the test centre anyway so only gotta fit my rear seat. thing is it only tests motorbikes so how many bikes must he see in the exact condition? $(£% it, at least there was nothing really wrong with it. he recieted it like he's told people hundreds of times so god know. maybe it was because i had a footrest on one side but not the other? he also mentioned a rear reflector but would put one on the registration plate for free.

PS the avon storms i put on today rock. 195 fitted. million times better than the knackered old d220's that had a plug in and some of the canvas was visible down the centre. doh
Old 21-04-09, 10:53 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

A*hole! Take it elsewhere. I got a single seat cowl on one of my bikes and no footrests or grabrail, passes its MOT no probs.....even when it had a seat and no pegs.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-09, 11:36 PM   #7
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Your Bike
Has been incorrectly failed:
Complete appeal form VT17 available from any MOT test station or ring our enquiry line, *0300 123 9000. Your appeal must be received within 14 working days of the test and we will require a full test fee from you. We will then offer an appointment within five days to re-check your vehicle. If your appeal is successful some or all of the test fee will be refunded to you.

taken from this web page stright from VOSA...

oh..
and the Check List that they go by.

Last edited by Richie; 21-04-09 at 11:43 PM.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-09, 06:06 AM   #8
FG1

Go back and demand a refund as they are acting outside of the law. Then take it elsewhere. If they refuse to refund you then tell them you will go down the appeal route and it could possibly affect them more.
Old 22-04-09, 08:07 AM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Your Bike
Has been incorrectly failed:
Complete appeal form VT17 available from any MOT test station or ring our enquiry line, *0300 123 9000. Your appeal must be received within 14 working days of the test and we will require a full test fee from you. We will then offer an appointment within five days to re-check your vehicle. If your appeal is successful some or all of the test fee will be refunded to you.

taken from this web page stright from VOSA...

oh..
and the Check List that they go by.

+1
they can only test what is fitted, there is nothing unroadworthy about a bike without pillion pegs
Old 22-04-09, 08:12 AM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinman View Post
hi peeps. 04 sv650 failed MOT today on a rear tyre(got new tyres today 1 hour after test) a rear reflector and rear footrests????
my bike has the single seat conversion so the bike couldn't carry any passengers which is why i have removed my left passenger footrest. But the bloke said "rear passenger foot rests are not required by law, however if they are not present then there must be a structure available for a passenger to support his/her weight i.e. a grabrail"(pretty much word for word). so there is no rear seat on the bike, so no chance of carrying passengers, but he wants to see a grab rail or 2 footrests for the passengers i will not be carrying!!!!

anybody had same thing on there MOT test?
Phone the Dept of Transport and get this guys license to do MOTs revoked.

If you are carrying a pillion you NEED to have footrests and a proper seat, you DONT need grabrails.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote