SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-10, 04:53 PM   #1
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Default Android Phone users

So who's got one and what apps do you use/like/love
  • I like the 'Papi' games, real simple spectrum type games really but addictive
    • Papi jump
    • SFCave
  • Picsay Pro
    • Take a picture and mess about with it like a rough Photoshop
  • Barcode scanner
    • Can scan in barcodes but there's lot's of stuff that cannot be found, it'll take time for things to be added but it's good for downloading programs, you find them on the interweb and they often have a 2d barcode next to them, you read this and it takes you stright to the download page
  • Call Location
    • Shows where a call is coming from based on area code or just 'UK Mobile' or even the country if from overseas
  • Celeste
    • Shows where planets are, works with goole Sky maps (below)
  • CoPilot Live
    • Sat Nav, full UK sat nav and it actually works unlike previous PDA satnavs I have tried on my PDA's
  • Free Dictionary
    • Cuz I carnt spell propah
  • Google Sky Map
    • Using the gubbins inside you move your phone about while looking at the screen and it shows the planets and stars that you are looking at, or you can search for one and an arrow on the screen points you to it as you turn around and point your phone in the correct dierection.. COOL..
  • Layar
    • Again data and GPS turned on, you point the camera on your phone down a street and it tells you what is down there, or you search for stuff e.g. nearedt MD's and it points you in the direction. Again, not fantastic in all areas but bet there's a load of entries for big cities
  • NHS Near
    • Tells you where NHS things are nearest to you, GP's, Dentist etc
  • Photobucket
    • Upload your pics to a 'mobile upload' folder in your photobucket account so you can link to it
  • Space physics
    • Cool game where you have to get a ball to a certain place on the screen by drawing shapes that make see-saws and hammers and slings and stuff
  • Unit converter
    • Converts units??!!!?!?!
  • Whats On
    • Shows you what's on channels at times and can use it to set your ky box to record them if you have that all plumbed in

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-10, 06:48 PM   #2
Milky Bar Kid

Default Re: Android Phone users

Were you bored at work Stretchie?
Old 22-02-10, 07:27 PM   #3
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
Were you bored at work Stretchie?
Nah, he just doesnt do any work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_
So who's got one and what apps do you use/like/love?
I just got a Hero at the weekend, I got sick of WinMo, Android has surpassed it in terms of useability etc.

Not had it long enough yet to figure out what I really like/need in the way of apps, but these few stand out so far:

Handcent SMS - Makes texting a lot better than standard.

Google Mail - I've embraced the whole 'Google Cloud' thing, so have a gmail account etc that syncs with my phone. Email is now about a million times easier to use than it was on WinMo.

Barcode scanner - I finally know what your Avatar says after all this time!!

EDIT: Changed my avatar in honour of my new phone and Mr Stretch starting this thread!

Last edited by El Saxo; 22-02-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 22-02-10, 07:56 PM   #4
orose

+1 for the barcode scanner, as we use them at work heavily and sometimes its quicker than finding the handheld one

I'd say that you need to get the latest version of google maps if you can (needs 1.6 or better), as that has the new buzz layer and most of the features of the sat nav without actually giving you turn by turn directions.

I know that my upgrade will be to another android phone though, as it would be silly not to now.
Old 22-02-10, 08:40 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Yo do know that you can take that barcode scanner and hook it up to another couple of apps so that when you scan a DVD it will go off and find a torrent for it - and then download it to your phone if you wish?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-10, 09:57 PM   #6
TimMcC

Compass - Erm... it's a compass

ConnectBot - Nice little SSH client. Useful if I want to connect to a server whilst away from a real computer

Facebook Contact Sync - Put's each contact's facebook picture in your address book

Flight Director - Amazingly addictive game where you have to land planes and helicopters in the right places without them crashing

My Tracks - Cool little tool made by Google to track your journeys. Gives you a nice map of where you went and some cool stats. I like to turn it on when I go cycling or motorbiking somewhere in a random direction.

Places Directory - Find nearby stuff

Ultimate Stopwatch - Because for some weird reason Android doesn't ship with one (my Magic didn't anyway)
Old 23-02-10, 07:24 AM   #7
L3nny
Mega Poster

Some of my favorite apps.

ASBOrometer tells you the amount of people with ASBOS in your current location.

Farm Animals - Makes animal noises

Fart Droid - Makes Fart noises

Steamy Window - When you blow on your phone it looks like he screen has steamed up and you can draw pattterns in the steam.

Dunno where I would be these days without all the apps on my phone.
Old 23-02-10, 11:06 AM   #8
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
EDIT: Changed my avatar in honour of my new phone and Mr Stretch starting this thread!
I noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Flight Director - Amazingly addictive game where you have to land planes and helicopters in the right places without them crashing

Ultimate Stopwatch - Because for some weird reason Android doesn't ship with one (my Magic didn't anyway)
Flight director is cool innit. Also my Hero has a stop watch, can't see why it woul dbe different, try this tap the clock as if setting an alarm and see what the options you have at the bottom are by scrolling right with the track ball. I have:
World Clock - Alarms - Stopwatch - Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
ASBOrometer tells you the amount of people with ASBOS in your current location.
Downloading it now

Quote:
Farm Animals - Makes animal noises
I don't need an app like that to make farm animals make noises

Quote:
Steamy Window - When you blow on your phone it looks like he screen has steamed up and you can draw pattterns in the steam.
I had that, showed Grunty and she just rolled her eyes

I want a program so I can take screenshots from the phone, I had one for the WinMob that you just sync your phone up and you could open a little window on your computer that was just an extension of your phone screen, could control my phone from my computer for texts and stuff, much easier when at work cos it didn't look like you were playing with your phone.. And you could take screen shots from it

And I'm waiting for the software update. Looks like it's going to be end of March to get Android 2.1. My Hero came shipped with 1.5

Look right-> <-Look Left

Last edited by _Stretchie_; 23-02-10 at 11:08 AM.
Old 23-02-10, 11:27 AM   #9
L3nny
Mega Poster

I have a tattoo and the camera doesn't have autofocus so I cant read barcodes

Just downloaded that papi Jump, looks like a few hours can get wasted on that.

I second the Co-Pilot, much better than most other sat navs I have used and it was only £25 Just make sure you have an in car charger as the battery lasts about 10 minutes when running it.
Old 23-02-10, 12:09 PM   #10
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Oooh yes, but the best 'non dedicated' sat nav I have ever used that you install on a phone.

Look right-> <-Look Left