SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-01-19, 02:35 PM   #6841
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I have a 350mb VM internet, I am not happy and want more than the rubbish 20mb upload.
To be fair that's more than most people get download.

But I agree.
Old 04-01-19, 03:47 PM   #6842
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
I have a 350mb VM internet, I am not happy and want more than the rubbish 20mb upload.

Looked for alternatives, Best I can get is upto 3mb on the aluminium cable BT ran to my house 30 years ago.

Yet they say for that I have to buy a Fibre service that they cannot supply. It is about time BT and the telcos did something for not spots instead of trying to protect past expenditure. If they cannot supply a fast internet connection on the current infrastructure. Provide a fibre to the premises solution. Good Internet connectivity should be a universal offering.
1.2gig an hour is more than enough unless your hosting and if you are then you would be better to get a hosting package from a provider.

think of it this way, if you dropped your broadband to say 50mb with the money you save you could get hosting and run "cloud".
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 06:34 AM   #6843
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
1.2gig an hour is more than enough unless your hosting and if you are then you would be better to get a hosting package from a provider.

think of it this way, if you dropped your broadband to say 50mb with the money you save you could get hosting and run "cloud".
1.2gb / hr...haha....no....as a domestic user I agree with the notion of not needing higher uploads but it should still be available for purchase!

It should be as cheap to pay for decent internet with good upload speeds to be able to run your own "cloud" services as it is to pay for decent cloud service subscriptions (azure/Amazon/Google) over a cheap connection...

In the states Google offer 1gig up and down in some places...10% of that in both directions would be good here

I have the same "business" broadband as Tim, and unless you pay a lot more a month for business DIA 300mb/1gb both directions you are stuck with rubbish upload speeds....there should be offerings with better upload (say 100mb min) but without being medium business 6hr SLA expensive stuff

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 05-01-19 at 06:40 AM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 09:00 AM   #6844
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

I am a senior project manager for a global enterprise who works from home. For my personal hosting I do take a dedicated server package from OVH.

I work with large files, and use cloud storage. The VM 20Mb upload means waiting minutes to store files. If I was permitted to use local storage it would be seconds. Being home based my employers need to know I have adequate IT security in place and cloud storage is mandated for all. Even office based have lost their local file servers, but have nice thick pipes connecting them to their storage.

The package I am on is not vanity. VM is the only provision I can use until FTTP becomes a reality. There are serious defects as well as poor uploads (I now this is a result of network design to support tv)
No ip subnet available. just a single sticky address. I could easily make available a /24 from the companies many IPv4 allocations of class A/B networks. But VM will not take any route advertising
No IPv6
No SLA on fixes. I recently had to spend 3 days using 4G tethering as the local box had an electrical fault.
Old 06-01-19, 10:14 AM   #6845
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I got a new phone for Xmas that's 4g enabled. A new SIM card and contact now in place. Just did a speedtest and I'm getting 51mb download. It's faster than my landline. I can see why some people are starting to ditch home broadband. And 5g is on the way!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-19, 06:24 PM   #6846
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I got a new phone for Xmas that's 4g enabled. A new SIM card and contact now in place. Just did a speedtest and I'm getting 51mb download. It's faster than my landline. I can see why some people are starting to ditch home broadband. And 5g is on the way!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Probably be fast until too many people start using it more of the time - then the old bandwidth problem will happen.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 10:52 PM   #6847
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
I am a senior project manager for a global enterprise who works from home. For my personal hosting I do take a dedicated server package from OVH.

I work with large files, and use cloud storage. The VM 20Mb upload means waiting minutes to store files. If I was permitted to use local storage it would be seconds. Being home based my employers need to know I have adequate IT security in place and cloud storage is mandated for all. Even office based have lost their local file servers, but have nice thick pipes connecting them to their storage.

The package I am on is not vanity. VM is the only provision I can use until FTTP becomes a reality. There are serious defects as well as poor uploads (I now this is a result of network design to support tv)

No ip subnet available. just a single sticky address. I could easily make available a /24 from the companies many IPv4 allocations of class A/B networks. But VM will not take any route advertising

No IPv6

No SLA on fixes. I recently had to spend 3 days using 4G tethering as the local box had an electrical fault.
This is like the shipping forecast. The words are in English but I've no idea what they mean.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-19, 09:22 AM   #6848
shiftin_gear98

shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 10:04 AM   #6849
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead
This is like the shipping forecast. The words are in English but I've no idea what they mean.
Here's a translation:

Quote:
I am a senior project manager for a global enterprise who works from home.
"I'm doing alright for myself, thanks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
I work with large files, and use cloud storage.
"I'm a meteorologist"

Quote:
The VM 20Mb upload means waiting minutes to store files
"someone's blocked my parking space"

Quote:
If I was permitted to use local storage it would be seconds
"the local car park was full"

Quote:
but have nice thick pipes connecting them to their storage.
"something, something...plumbing"

Quote:
The package I am on is not vanity.
"I can't see myself in the mirror"

Quote:
VM is the only provision I can use until FTTP becomes a reality. There are serious defects as well as poor uploads (I now this is a result of network design to support tv)
No IPv6
"she will nah tek it cap'n"
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 10:37 AM   #6850
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
No ip subnet available...
toilets were out-of-order...