SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-10, 01:02 AM   #1
barwel1992

Default removing exhaust bolts

whats the best least messy way to remove the header bolts ?

i was thinking about running the bike till about 90c then hitting them i with a drift then shut the bike off and spray with something like deodorant to cool them down quickly and try and undo them

any other suggestions?

ohh and what bolts should i replace them with ? or keep the stock ones and stick loads of coper grease on them ?

thanks
Old 12-12-10, 01:15 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: removing exhaust bolts

I presume you mean the exhaust studs?, if so just run two nuts on the stud, lock them together and then undo the stud from the head.

if it's only the nuts you need to remove, then if the thread is that corroded then you'll probably find the stud comes out instead of the nut undoing anyway, but a nut splitter or if it's rounded then the next size down imperial socket from the metric one that should fit, sometimes works.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:17 AM   #3
barwel1992

i mean the bolts that attach the headers to the cylinder head

cheers
Old 12-12-10, 01:20 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

they shouldn't be bolts unless they have been replaced at some point already, but something like this

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 12-12-10, 01:21 AM   #5
barwel1992

ahh there cap head bolts

they dont look corroded so should come out ok then i suppose
Old 12-12-10, 01:27 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

yeah and they aren't original either, a better solution when you come to re-fit is to use a slightly longer bolt and run a nut down to clamp the header in, this makes sure you're using the full length of the tapped thread within the head.

but replacement studs aren't expensive.

Cheers Mark.
Old 12-12-10, 10:14 AM   #7
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
ahh there cap head bolts

they dont look corroded so should come out ok then i suppose
Famous last words .

Mate, your bike is a K3 and persoanlly, I wouldn't py much attention to 'how they look' lol. get some plus gas and buy one of those hand held Butane torch....mine cost about £10(maybe £15) from B&Q . Bit of plasticine/Blue Tack/rag or tissue to help with getting the Plus gas in the right place might be a good idea.

All the above might sound over the top but after years of taking exhausts off SVs without problem, my first problem definitely taught me that, it's better to go over the top...

By the way, the hedaer botls on the Pointy are cap head designs so bolts could be original. If they are original, even more reason to be extra careful. Do all the above and also make sure you clean the recess very well and use a good quality Hex Bit Socket...not some 'poundland' runbbish lol.

Good Luck
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 10:25 AM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
By the way, the hedaer botls on the Pointy are cap head designs so bolts could be original. If they are original, even more reason to be extra careful. Do all the above and also make sure you clean the recess very well and use a good quality Hex Bit Socket...not some 'poundland' runbbish lol.

Good Luck
I second that!
I'm not touching mine with std sockets. Word of warning if the studs shear it will get very interesting.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 10:44 AM   #9
barwel1992

ahh poop

how am i meant to get plus gas to seep in to threads that are only accessible from the bottom? :/

ooo good excuse to get something that makes fire i suppose
Old 12-12-10, 11:05 AM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

A sharp tap on the head of the bolt with a suitable implement might help free it.