SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-07, 12:14 PM   #1
Baph

Default Pay & Display parking ticket

I didn't want to derail another thread, so figured I'd post here.

For the last 10months, I've parked my bike in exactly the same spot in the same car park. The day before yesterday, both me & the red bandit parked next to me (in the same bay) got a £60 penalty charge from "nice" traffic warden.

Now, I've been told that you don't have to pay for parking a bike in Denbigh, so I figured I'd check the council's current policy with a sneaky call to Parking Services. So I called the nice lady up with a "Hi, I wonder if you can help me, I'm considering commuting to work by bike, motorbike not push bike, would I have to pay for parking, as I know Conwy council do free parking for bikes?"

The reply I got was that yes, I would have to pay for parking at £5/day in the meter, or £65 for the year permit. I could also ask for an "AC*" permit, which is transferrable to any vehicle.

Whilst I was on the phone, I also raised the concern that the ticket or permit would be stolen from the bike, to which I was told that I should keep the ticket/permit on me, not on the bike. Then if I got a penalty charge, I had proof that I'd actually paid for parking legally. They even went so far as to basically say that if a traffic warden keeps putting a penalty charge on the bike and I have a year permit, that they'll take him/her to one side & have a polite word. Nice touch I thought, so big thumbs up to the council for having some sense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD
What? you haven't contested it yet and got out of paying fine..... has the law finially caught up with you??
Well, now, there's the interesting thing see. The bandit owner has already sent a letter off stating that he paid £5 for a ticket, and left it on the bike. He sent this letter before I called Parking Services.

I'm a little more crafty than that. Yesterday I parked on a side street & chained my bike up to the tow loop of a collegues car (and warned them not to drive off without me unlocking the bike first!!). Today, I've parked in the car park, paid £5 for parking, and brought the ticket into the office with me. I'm hoping I get a penalty charge

If I get a penalty charge for today, I'll send a letter over the weekend saying that I paid for parking BOTH days, and for some reason the ticket has gone missing. I've no idea if it's been stolen or just blown off in the wind on the first day, but here's the 2nd "offences" legal ticket, I kept it with me because the first one went missing. Oh yea, BTW Mr Parking Services officer, there was a red bandit parked next to me on the first day (thereby validating my mates claim to parking & paying for a ticket, but it going MIA)

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd explain to DoubleD mainly. If the council come back & say that they'll forget my second penalty, but we both have to pay the first one, then as far as I'm concerned, fair cop. I wasn't aware of the policy, but I didn't really make the effort to find out for definite either.

You don't get if you don't try, but if it falls over at the first hurdle, well, I've had a lot of good luck, and I've played the game. At least it doesn't come with 3 points on the licence.
Old 25-05-07, 12:49 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pay & Display parking ticket

I got out of 3 points and £180 fine by doing a similar thing to this. Took alot of pictures of people doing the same as I had to do, as people park in the turning bay meaning you have to reverse into a one way street to turn. Said it was unavoidable and got away with it.

Its when a Conwy council member ends up reading this and busts you

Unlikely for something like this but not unheard of....I'm a self confessed BLAGGER and have got away with alot, and received ALOT of free stuff. Its a right pain in the **** when you get busted though most of it has just been embarrasing for me never any real trouble.

Its when the people you are trying to blag have to much time on there hands and start investigating/digging deeper that they bust you HAHA.

Last edited by G; 25-05-07 at 12:51 PM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-07, 12:54 PM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Its when a Conwy council member ends up reading this and busts you
I don't see why they would, given the offence was committed under in Denbighshire council area, not a Conwy council area.

Conwy council don't charge for bikes, Denbighshire do, and it's down to the council to decide.

If my appeal is rejected, it's £60 fine plus the £5 for today (as I'm parked legally today, no penalty notice can be upheld). If my appeal works, it's cost me £5.

They can't come after me for previous parking offences I may/may not of commited, and thanks to a case involving Internet chat rooms, I'd have a lot to back that up. Basically, they have no proof that I was parked illegally before the first penalty charge (dispite me saying so in this thread), so innocent until they can prove otherwise.
Old 25-05-07, 01:24 PM   #4
DanDare

Since when do you get points for parking offences?
Old 25-05-07, 01:37 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
Since when do you get points for parking offences?
My point exactly, better that I loose out when trying it on for parking, rather than speeding
Old 25-05-07, 01:42 PM   #6
DoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I'm a little more crafty than that. Yesterday I parked on a side street & chained my bike up to the tow loop of a collegues car (and warned them not to drive off without me unlocking the bike first!!). Today, I've parked in the car park, paid £5 for parking, and brought the ticket into the office with me. I'm hoping I get a penalty charge

If I get a penalty charge for today, I'll send a letter over the weekend saying that I paid for parking BOTH days, and for some reason the ticket has gone missing. I've no idea if it's been stolen or just blown off in the wind on the first day, but here's the 2nd "offences" legal ticket, I kept it with me because the first one went missing. Oh yea, BTW Mr Parking Services officer, there was a red bandit parked next to me on the first day (thereby validating my mates claim to parking & paying for a ticket, but it going MIA)

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd explain to DoubleD mainly. If the council come back & say that they'll forget my second penalty, but we both have to pay the first one, then as far as I'm concerned, fair cop. I wasn't aware of the policy, but I didn't really make the effort to find out for definite either.
I was waiting for some kind of comment back

Glad you didn't disapoint Baph you do crack me up.

Fingers crossed for the 2nd park ticket then off the nice warden.
Old 25-05-07, 01:47 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Hahahahaha, onliy little do you know what can and cant be done, and the legislation behind it. My better half works in parking enforement, mainly Transport for london, and its a mine field of vauge desciptions, legislation, and other crap.

Each ticket will be seperate. If you can porvide a ticket for one and not the other, then you will have to pay one PCN. Thats how it works down in london. Its leaglised extortion, simple as really.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-07, 01:51 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Hahahahaha, onliy little do you know what can and cant be done, and the legislation behind it. My better half works in parking enforement, mainly Transport for london, and its a mine field of vauge desciptions, legislation, and other crap.

Each ticket will be seperate. If you can porvide a ticket for one and not the other, then you will have to pay one PCN. Thats how it works down in london. Its leaglised extortion, simple as really.
I fully expect that to happen, but like I said, no harm in trying. The fine is £30 if paid in 14days, so on the 13th day, if I haven't heard anything, I'll pay it anyway.

You never know though, they MAY take the view that "Oh well, first offence and they COULD be telling the truth, so we'll waive it this time & they've obviously learnt their lesson."

Might not work that way (and TBH, it probably wont), but you've gotta try.

EDIT: Oh yea, the multi-storey car park has machines that ask for the numbers from your registration plate. That could technically be used to find out if a ticket matching your numbers was purchased on that day I suppose. Great lot of use it is entering "06" in though!
Old 25-05-07, 01:56 PM   #9
G
Mega Poster

go on pepipoo.com or .co.uk

They pretty much will beable to get you out of most FPN or PCN's
Old 25-05-07, 02:24 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Here is a mail I sent to my local council a week ago and my follow up this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims mail to Chorley Council
Please note I have no reply for the enquiry I sent you on 14th May.

I am considering commuting to Chorley. But need to know your parking policies.

Are motorcycles expected to use the pay and display facilities?. Do you have dedicated bike bays with secure anchor points etc.

Obviously a motorcycle is far less likely to cause congestion, and therefore emission of greenhouse gases etc. But short of parking and risking the issue of a penalty ticket. How do I establish the parking policy.

I have looked on your web site. But there is no mention of a motorcycle parking policy

Regards

Tim Wilkinson
----- Original Message ----- From: Tim Wilkinson
To: contact@chorley.gov.uk
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 6:11 PM
Subject: Secure motorcycle parking in Chorley

Can you please advise the parking policies for motorcycles in Chorley.

Do you provide designated bays for motorcycles.?.

Are motorcycles expected to use pay&display facilities without the ability to securely display a ticket?

Do your bike bays have locking points to enable bikes to be securely attached to ground anchors or similar?.

Best Regards

Tim Wilkinson
Whilst I have little reason to ride into town. I am concerned that when I nip to the bank etc. I could be ticketed by the parking bandits. Also why should they not provide facilities for us bikers