SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-10-07, 08:14 PM   #1
loply

Default New fork seals leaking.

Hi folks,
I'd appreciate any help on this as it's quite urgent (trackday on Thursday!).

I've changed the springs and fork seals on my K4 SV650, and having reassembled them with everything in the right order, the forks are literally ****ing oil. Enough to make small puddles after my test ride.

I noticed whilst assembling them that the new seals are not flush with the retaining spring ring, that is to say that the oil seals are free to move up and down a few millimeters. I also noticed that the new seals were perhaps 2mm "shorter" than the old ones in the vertical, however, the free play is greater than 2mm so I assumed it was designed that way.

I didn't leave anything out - guide bush, washer, oil seal, retaining ring, dust seal.

Anyhow long story short the oil seals aren't stationary, they have some free play up and down the leg.

Have I been given the wrong seals?

Or, have I put the retaining spring ring in the wrong groove? Because I noticed what appeared to be a second. One really big one near the edge of the fork, then another far fainter one a few millimeters further in, but it may just be a wear mark.

Any advice appreciated folks
Old 02-10-07, 08:21 PM   #2
loply

Default Re: New fork seals not working - Urgent!

One thing that has just occured to me is that these new fork seals literally slid into their seat, I didn't have to hammer them at all.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier because it seems a tad obvious, I had hell hammering my SZR seals in to place.

I'm feeling quite sure they're the wrong seals now...
Old 02-10-07, 09:35 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Yep sounds to me like the wrong seals. I had to use a drift when I changed mine to hammer them into place... they shouldnt slide up and down the fork legs / stanchions at all.

I think, best to wait for somebody a bit more knowledgeable than me to confirm though.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 11:39 PM   #4
SAMMY650

same as. When I changed the fork seals on my sv650n i had to hammer them on!!! Sounds like they gave you the wrong ones.
Old 03-10-07, 11:18 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: New fork seals leaking.

The forks for the SV650 from '99-'02 and '03 on are pretty similar, it's possible the seals are similar but not the same. I'm afraid I've not had to do this job so can only speculate.
Old 03-10-07, 01:07 PM   #6
Robw#70

41-53-8 are curvy seals, injected ones wont fit,
i think oe ones are 41-53-8/9.5 the higher part being the seal lip.
you need to check what you have, maybe you just nicked them when you put them on the tube but check for damage on the tube aswell
Old 03-10-07, 05:50 PM   #7
loply

The reference book in the retail shop I bought the seals from was wrong, so they gave me ones of the wrong size.

Got them changed and sorted it out, though I had to take the morning off work to facilitate it!

Thanks folks.