SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-10-09, 11:40 AM   #1
andreis

Default Red Hawk Down

Had a semi-minor off last night..
Went for changing lanes, so I checked my mirrors and just before changing I did a shoulder check. It was clear, so I started changing lanes before my eyes were pointed forward again. The bus in front of me did an emergency brake for someone who was crossing the street whilst red was on, and when I looked forward, I got scared by the big buss stopped right in front of me, so I grabbed the front brake. Not too much, but I was still leaned over, so I washed down.. at 15-20-ish mph

However, I was lucky, because while rolling into the adjacent lane, I saw the car coming for my head, so I rolled the other way...

So here's the bill:
Gear shifter broken, left foot stair (I think that's what it's called) broken and left crash bung bent..

Fortunately, I was geared up and no skin was left to the asphalt, but my shoulder hurts a bit.. nothing to worry about though..

Lesson learned: Look where the **** you're going before changing direction/lane.. things might have changed since last you looked..
Old 02-10-09, 11:43 AM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Red Hawk Down

Well done.Any crash you walk away from is a good crash.
Old 02-10-09, 11:43 AM   #3
Alpinestarhero

hope the shoulder stops hurting for you soon. It might ache foe a few days though, things tend to hurt more the day after

You might be able to find what you need on here, to repair your bike. What model year is it? Might attract some offers from people

take it easy
Old 02-10-09, 11:43 AM   #4
ophic
Mega Poster

unfortunately very easily done - and it sounds like you got off quite lightly. Hope your shoulder recovers quickly - perhaps a trip to the doc would be in order?
Old 02-10-09, 11:53 AM   #5
andreis

Well, it's an '00 S model.. In red.. I already got to fixing things. All it really needs is 2 welds, and I'm gonna drive a hole through the shifter lever and screw a bolt to it and it
should be fine..

Crash bung is a different story though. That needs to be changed completely. The guy who had the bike before me fixed them to the engine case(not a good idea, obviously), so I REALLY need to change them and bolt'em to the frame.

I don't think a doc is needed.. think it should just go away in a couple of days
Old 02-10-09, 12:18 PM   #6
Owenski

+1 very easily done!

Many many many times I've joined into Motorway traffic and while doing the shoulder check to the next lane, looked forward and the vehicle in front is now braking to let someone in from the other lane. If you dont react fast I imagine they can hurt quite badly.

Lucky escape for you, I like the indiana jones style picture you paint to avoid the on coming car lol.
Old 03-10-09, 01:53 AM   #7
andreis

) Director&camera credits go to many years of movie watching (they don't make'em like they used to).

Update: damage has been fixed(except for crash bungs).. gear changing problem still there though..