SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-08, 02:22 PM   #1
Stig

Default Calliper pistons...where from?

As per title.

Need new ones for the front. Seem to have limited results on Google. Wemoto seems to be the favourite. Anyone else know of anywhere which is possibly cheaper

Ta.
Old 09-06-08, 02:42 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: Calliper pistons...where from?

Si. I looked for them a while back and they are not cheap. The ususal suzuki suspects were my only other stop. I just gave mine a polish in the end and didnt bother.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 02:43 PM   #3
drag

If you get the part numbers check out the robinsons foundry site ,it might be cheaper
Old 09-06-08, 03:12 PM   #4
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Si. I looked for them a while back and they are not cheap. The ususal suzuki suspects were my only other stop. I just gave mine a polish in the end and didnt bother.
Cheers Ian, I've done this many times over. They have certaintly gone past the point of a good clean up and bung them back in.

Wemoto sell the pistons and new seals for 22.21 pus vat and postage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag View Post
If you get the part numbers check out the robinsons foundry site ,it might be cheaper
Thanks, I'll investigate.
Old 09-06-08, 04:38 PM   #5
thedonal

Otherwise try Spares Direct (020 8969 0741) - they're well stocked with OEM parts and also do some pattern parts too.
Old 09-06-08, 04:42 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Piston and Seal set from Suzuki is around 40 pound I think, can't remember though if that is for both calipers or just the one!
Old 10-06-08, 09:04 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Not really answering your question, but food for thought: RandyO has had both new OE calipers and rebuilt existing ones and reckons that the former is a lot better for not that much more cash. I've put a new OE caliper on mine and it was a marked improvement. Brakes seem to be one of those things like suspension where as it deteriorates gradually, you don't notice how bad it has gotten till you try it back to back with a new one.
Old 10-06-08, 11:57 AM   #8
Stig

From memory, new callipers are around 125 quid each. Pistons and seals all round for around 80 quid.
Old 10-06-08, 06:34 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Brakes seem to be one of those things like suspension where as it deteriorates gradually, you don't notice how bad it has gotten till you try it back to back with a new one.
True, but if you service or replace the appropriate parts at the right time in the long run it will be far more cheaper than buying new calipers every now and again with no difference in final results other than a fuller wallet!