SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-11-14, 11:13 PM   #1
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default The English justice system is not fit for purpose

Discuss.

Case in point.

I dealt with a lad who within a week of being released from Her Maj's pleasure, drove a stolen car dangerously around Bolton whilst disqualified from driving, off his head on cocaine, bladdered on a bottle of vodka, failing to stop at three separate collisions ending up on three wheels when one fell off. He had no insurance either!

He was convicted today of seven offences and what punishment did the Crown Court Judge impose?

12 months suspended sentence. That's right, he won't see the inside of an HMP establishment.

I've now got to tell the 19 victims and witnesses exactly what's happened.

How many of them do you think will feel justice has been served with this pathetic, lenient joke of a sentence?

I'm not a "hang 'em high" kind of Cop, I know the courts will keep as many people out of prison as possible, but this guy drove like a maniac with no Cops chasing him. We only caught up with him once he'd crashed into an HGV and run off.

I'm fully aware that the .org, with its vast life experience will have many anecdotes along a similar line. Maybe you think he's been treated fairly.

I, for one, am very dissolusioned by the whole thing.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 11:23 PM   #2
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: The English justice system is not fit for purpose

Did they give any reasoning why he didn't get what he deserved....sounds like a complete travesty to me!

Even without knowing all the facts if someone has previous inside time how the hell can they then get a suspended sentence for a serious crime...don't make sense to me

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 11:51 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

so what happens if he goes out and kills someone?

is the justice system responsible for the actions of said individual due to knowing that he will commit the same offence again?

its about time that the law system in this country be held accountable for its decisions and actions regarding public care and protection. maybe start to fine the courts and judges if they make a mistake, that might just make them think twice. its also about time they started building more prison's and not made them like a holiday camp for the inmates.

keep up the good work Pete and i do understand why a lot of the police officers are so abrupt these days knowing that the system they are working for does not help them do their job properly.

i'll give it a maximum of 20 years and the country will have a privatised law system along with the NHS and fire brigade.

Last edited by Bibio; 03-11-14 at 11:53 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 01:01 AM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
so what happens if he goes out and kills someone?

is the justice system responsible for the actions of said individual due to knowing that he will commit the same offence again?

This. http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derb...ail/story.html
http://road.cc/content/news/107394-s...uffolk-cyclist

Last edited by NTECUK; 04-11-14 at 01:04 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 05:33 AM   #5
L3nny
Mega Poster

It's like those crappy cop shows where they follow the force around. You'll get some bloke who only has a provisional, with no insurance, in a car he's "borrowed" weaving all over the road. The police catch him, spend half an hour trying to get his real name, he then gets taken to the police station, forms are filled in, he's then sent to court taking up dozens of man hours and hundreds of pounds of tax payers money.

They then say at the end, the guy was found guilty and given a £100 fine and a 3 month ban on the license he doesn't even have!

But then what are you going to do? The fines are only paid out of dole benefits anyway and sending them to prison would cost 10 times as much.
Old 04-11-14, 08:47 AM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

Not exactly proud of this, but I have a family member who was no good in his youth.

Through the juvenile courts, because of his age etc. He gets probation, his mates get 6 months borstal and never offend again, as a big boy he eventually ends up on 6 months suspended when he pinches a car battery and gets 12 month. Talk about arrogance, none of us knew until he failed to come home one day and two days later we were contacted by the police to remove his car from the car park in front of the magistrates court.

Fast forward 30 years he is a totally different person and would be horrified if any of his peers ever found out he had been locked up. 12 months incarceration starting off in Walton for a few months certainly put the fear into him. He came out never wanting to return.

That was a time of the short sharp shock era, it worked for his mates. Big boys prison worked for him. It would be interesting to see the economics of a harsh initialcustodial sentence versus years of understanding and help by do gooders that fails to turn round offending behavior.
Old 04-11-14, 10:16 AM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Correct me if I'm wrong but they always seem to punish the harm that was done, not the decision leading to it.

For example, I punch someone. If he then falls and hits his head on the pavement and dies, I'll get done for manslaughter. If I do the same and he just gets a bruise, I'll get done for ABH probably.

Point being in both cases I did exactly the same. I made the same decision and the outcome was different. Surely the error of my ways is what should be punished, ie don't punch people.

The sentence should take into consideration the maximum possible damage that you might have done, not what actually happened because you were lucky.
Old 04-11-14, 12:27 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
Discuss.

Case in point.

I dealt with a lad who within a week of being released from Her Maj's pleasure, drove a stolen car dangerously around Bolton whilst disqualified from driving, off his head on cocaine, bladdered on a bottle of vodka, failing to stop at three separate collisions ending up on three wheels when one fell off. He had no insurance either!

He was convicted today of seven offences and what punishment did the Crown Court Judge impose?

12 months suspended sentence. That's right, he won't see the inside of an HMP establishment.

I've now got to tell the 19 victims and witnesses exactly what's happened.

How many of them do you think will feel justice has been served with this pathetic, lenient joke of a sentence?

I'm not a "hang 'em high" kind of Cop, I know the courts will keep as many people out of prison as possible, but this guy drove like a maniac with no Cops chasing him. We only caught up with him once he'd crashed into an HGV and run off.

I'm fully aware that the .org, with its vast life experience will have many anecdotes along a similar line. Maybe you think he's been treated fairly.

I, for one, am very dissolusioned by the whole thing.

Pete
I think prison should be a last resort used to protect society from those who pose a danger.
Seems to me this guy qualifies well for a bit of porridge.
Old 04-11-14, 12:37 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Not exactly proud of this, but I have a family member who was no good in his youth.

Through the juvenile courts, because of his age etc. He gets probation, his mates get 6 months borstal and never offend again, as a big boy he eventually ends up on 6 months suspended when he pinches a car battery and gets 12 month. Talk about arrogance, none of us knew until he failed to come home one day and two days later we were contacted by the police to remove his car from the car park in front of the magistrates court.

Fast forward 30 years he is a totally different person and would be horrified if any of his peers ever found out he had been locked up. 12 months incarceration starting off in Walton for a few months certainly put the fear into him. He came out never wanting to return.

That was a time of the short sharp shock era, it worked for his mates. Big boys prison worked for him. It would be interesting to see the economics of a harsh initialcustodial sentence versus years of understanding and help by do gooders that fails to turn round offending behavior.
Interesting story Tim.
To me it shows that we get it wrong on two counts.Firstly your relly needed some firm treatment early to knock a bit of sense into him and didnt get it.
Secondly,he is now clearly a decent person who has a job and responsibilities but he still has a record.That would prevent him getting employment in a large number of jobs where he might be well suited.His convictions will be all "spent" by now,but still show on the CRB checks done in any employment that involves dealing with the public where there is any possibility of trust being breached.Somehow I doubt if someone who went off the rails when young but got back on them again is any worse a risk than someone who never got caught or anyone else.
Old 04-11-14, 03:51 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Interesting story Tim.
To me it shows that we get it wrong on two counts.Firstly your relly needed some firm treatment early to knock a bit of sense into him and didnt get it.
Secondly,he is now clearly a decent person who has a job and responsibilities but he still has a record.That would prevent him getting employment in a large number of jobs where he might be well suited.His convictions will be all "spent" by now,but still show on the CRB checks done in any employment that involves dealing with the public where there is any possibility of trust being breached.Somehow I doubt if someone who went off the rails when young but got back on them again is any worse a risk than someone who never got caught or anyone else.
Agreed, we were all surprised in how he was able to take the system for a ride, a few months borstal aged 13 would have sort him out early. As it was he thought the justice system a joke. He actually burgled his place of work and was caught having burgled his former place of work. Both damn good employers and personal family friends who we knew through professional relationships. Talk about embarrassing going to see them to discuss their work, all know what he had done.

As for "history", it came back to bit him on the bum a few years ago when he was the victim of a particularly nasty assault. Whilst trying to throw him down a flight of stairs, one of the attackers fell as well and suffered a broken neck. As a result he (the victim of the assault) was charged with GBH, as if a criminal history from 30 years ago meant he was still a bad one who had simply got away with it for so long. 3 adjourned appearances in the crown court before the CPS finally admitted they had it wrong. All the time hoping he would plead guilty for a lighter sentence.