SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-09, 08:48 PM   #1
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Radio to go with Autocom

Been looking at bike intercoms for ages and everyone keeps saying get an Autocom so I probably will. However they don't come with a Radio so I need to buy one of these as well.

Anyone got any reccomendations?

Also, is there any way you can have use in the ear headphones with it rather than the ones that stick to your helmet?

Cheers.
Old 03-03-09, 09:52 PM   #2
VolatileParsley

Default Re: Radio to go with Autocom

Hi L3nny,

This may be stating the obvious but you only need the radio for bike to bike comms. Not required if you just want rider to pillion.

Me and the missus use Autocoms for bike to bike comms. We started out using the Motorola T5622 radios that retailed at about £100 a pair. These were ok, reasonable sound quality and reasonable range.

Then one of them died on us (out of warranty of course) so we bit the bullet and went for the Kenwood TK-3201 radios that retail at around £130 each.

They are a load more expensive but they are superior in every way; build quality, sound quality and most importantly - range.

The Icom FS25R is also supposed to be excellent.

You get what you pay for I guess. Installation is important - particularly sighting of the Autocom unit and the radio itself. At the end of the day it will come down to a trade off between performance and convenience as to where you stick things. My Autocomm unit is under the pillion seat away from the battery, and the radio sits in the tank bag as it's quite a hefty unit.

It's worth playing around with the locations and testing it out, but remember you'll need to do this with the engine running as this causes the most interference.

I don't think they do in the ear headphones. You could butcher the standard headphone units but this could be tricky and might not be that convenient in use.

Hope this helps.

John.
Old 03-03-09, 10:02 PM   #3
L3nny
Mega Poster

Cheers John, seeing as I started looking at a whole system that was £60 a pair this seems to be getting a lot more expensive than I imagined.

I am only interested in Bike to Bike as I don't ever carry a pillion.

3 of us are taking a trip to Europe in the summer and it would be good if we could communicate but it seems like a hell of a lot of money to spend just so I can point the assets of the locals when riding through a town
Old 03-03-09, 10:18 PM   #4
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Customising/butchering a standard pair of headphones should be easy as it's only 2 wires after all. Give Autocom a ring, I've always found them really helpful.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 10:36 PM   #5
L3nny
Mega Poster

Another thing I have see is the Scala Rider Q2, the appeals at it's one close unit which clips to your helmet, no radios, no wires and only one battery to charge.

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products...headset/11286/
Old 03-03-09, 10:58 PM   #6
Stocks

Smile Re: Radio to go with Autocom

Lenny A third alterantive is autocom do a pure bike to bike unit which has a PTT button. Its light weight and is powerd by the radio you buy. I have one on my girl fiends SV650 and it too about half an hour to fit. You will need to know which radio make you will be using as the have diffent fittings on the end. A quick look on the Autocom websit will show you more detail
Old 03-03-09, 11:02 PM   #7
L3nny
Mega Poster

Cheers Stocks, out of interest, which radio do you use and how do you find it?

I'd prefer VOX over PTT ideally.
Old 03-03-09, 11:11 PM   #8
VolatileParsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Another thing I have see is the Scala Rider Q2, the appeals at it's one close unit which clips to your helmet, no radios, no wires and only one battery to charge.

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products...headset/11286/
I've heard good things about the Scala units but mainly from those using them as rider to pillion. Haven't heard what they are like for bike to bike.

The range is quite short <500m with them being bluetooth. Could link it in to your mobile phones as long as you all had bluetooth. They're a neat solution but I would be concerned about range.

Don't be put off by the cheaper Motorola radios for the Autocom route. They give pretty good performance and you can probably pick them up at a decent price.
Old 03-03-09, 11:25 PM   #9
L3nny
Mega Poster

Range on the Scala is quit short but we could use them for chatting when riding in convoy and if one of us gets lost just use voice activated dialling via the phone.
Old 04-03-09, 09:36 AM   #10
darylB

If you are looking for in ear headsets then look on the intaride.com website, they do them to connect to the autocom 7 pin plug. £46 per set.

Daryl