SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-11-09, 03:32 PM   #1
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Binky Goes All IL4

Got a little bored and thought i'd start planning now for if and when i can eventually get a new bike.

Phoned up the Honda dealer: 'Er, yes i'm EXTREMELY interested in buying a CBR600 RR, please can i take one out for a bit and see if i like it.' Knowing full well i don't have the cash for one ATM. (I can cover the excess though, should anything go wrong)

'Certainly sir. Just pop down in an hour or so'

Anyway, got there signed the shizzle and off i went. Bit of a funny feeling to begin with getting used to the different clutch and positioning of everything. Took it steady then found some roads i've done regularly on the SV.

Fook me, the ******* flies. Pulled out to overtake a car, came back in and glanced down to see 124mph on the dash. All this in 3rd gear too. Never did manage to get into fourth.

The handling was pretty sharp aswell. Going through corners i normally go through at what i thought would be ample on the SV the CBR was just saying 'MORE, QUICKER, FASTER, COME ON... I CAN TAKE IT' It seemed so effortless as well.

On overtakes though, you had to make sure the revs were there or it'd struggle until it got near the powerband. But then i always enjoy a bit of work to get the best from a bike.

Brakes felt pretty sharp too, but the front seemed to dip and dive a fiar bit. A lot more than i expected, was almost as bad as the SV TBH. Maybe they were just on quite a soft setting on the CBR though.

Few piccies of what i was given.

Sunlight right in the face = blurry but whatever.

Got back to be offered a cuppa by the salesman. Knowing full well he'd now try and sell it to me i though i'd say yeah why not, to a cup of tea.
Faining interest, by asking ******** questions kept him happy till i finished the tea. In order to make him let go of my arm (figuratively) i said 'Well i'll have to try some others first before i can make a decision' Upon which he said thier Triumph brothers are round the corner and that i might like a 675.

So looks like a 675 is next in line. What a nice man. (Gonna try and get on a GSXR, an R6 and an 848 if they let me. MAybe try a Ninja too.

All in all, it was a really nice bike. Think i quite like the IL4 feel too.

Squirrel Hunter eat your heart out.

P.S. My review is the 100% truth about this bike. You must ignore eberything anyone else tells you about it.

Last edited by Binky; 21-11-09 at 03:33 PM.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-09, 03:42 PM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: Binky Goes All IL4

you know you want an il4 next

Nice choice of roadsign to park next to as well...tart!
Old 21-11-09, 03:50 PM   #3
sv-robo

Aye you'll not go far wrong with an rr,124 in 3rd you say?...its cruising at that lol, got mine to 133 before the rev limiter kicked in then into 4th & prepare for another powerpull....then plenty more where that came from when you hit 5th,6th will still give you a bit more top end but mostly just balances the revs out a bit

Handling wise,the term **** to a blanket springs to mind unless your unlucky.
Old 21-11-09, 04:40 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Nice one.

If I remember rightly you're a bit taller than me, how did you find the position on the bike?

Got to say though I didn't get any dive from the front from braking, in fact I felt it was a little stiff. But I agree the brakes are good. Much better than on a SV. Was that the ABS model?

And remember after taking the 675 out say you like the look of the Street Triple and try that. Then say its great but you're after something a little bigger. Get the Speed Triple. Then go back to the Honda dealer, saying you tried the Speed and ask for a CB1000...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-09, 04:43 PM   #5
fatneck

Il4 ftw !
Old 21-11-09, 04:51 PM   #6
sunshine

Every il4 i have test rode i find theres a real lack of engine braking, next year im planning to test ride the new hypermotard 796 looks amazing i want one but cant afford it
Old 21-11-09, 04:58 PM   #7
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
you know you want an il4 next

Nice choice of roadsign to park next to as well...tart!
Decided to stop and by pure chance i stopped in that road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Nice one.

If I remember rightly you're a bit taller than me, how did you find the position on the bike?

Got to say though I didn't get any dive from the front from braking, in fact I felt it was a little stiff. But I agree the brakes are good. Much better than on a SV. Was that the ABS model?

And remember after taking the 675 out say you like the look of the Street Triple and try that. Then say its great but you're after something a little bigger. Get the Speed Triple. Then go back to the Honda dealer, saying you tried the Speed and ask for a CB1000...
I'm a lanky streak, yes. Riding position felt fine. Legs and feet were higher, but just means there is more ground clearance for the pegs, which i like. Think i could easilly tour on it too, without any aches or pains.

Yes, it was the ABS model. Don't think i'd fork out for it though. But then again i didn't snatch at the brakes incredibly hard. Didn't want to test it out quite frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
Every il4 i have test rode i find theres a real lack of engine braking, next year im planning to test ride the new hypermotard 796 looks amazing i want one but cant afford it
One thing i forgot to mention was the engine braking. Yes there is certainly less than the SV but it's still substantial and more than i expected to be there. Can still roll off the throttle and coast down the gears approaching lights without going into the back of a bus.
Old 21-11-09, 05:38 PM   #8
sunshine

sorry still prefer v-twin engine braking, from what felt on my test rides
Old 21-11-09, 05:43 PM   #9
sv-robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
sorry still prefer v-twin engine braking, from what felt on my test rides
V-twin/IL4....totally different kettle of fish
Old 21-11-09, 06:06 PM   #10