SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-20, 01:44 PM   #1
Sean_Morgan

Default What to look for

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen
My name is Sean, a 50 year old born again biker, and after passing my test in December last year ive been riding around on a 2000 GS500. I've decided that it's time to move onto something a little newer and bigger.
I'm looking at the sv650s something around 2007, there seems to be plenty of choice out there so my question is ..... what, if anything, (other than general condition) do I need to look out for.
I do prefer the look of the fully faired bike, if my option comes down to a half fairing are the aftermarket lower side panels any good ??
Do they handle mileage well or do I hold out for a lower mileage bike.
There seems to be a few about at around the age I'm looking at about 2000-2500, seems like a reasonable price to me, is that what I should be expecting to pay.
Thanks for reading
Thanks in advance for any input
Thanks for letting me join the forum
I'm off for a look around and a read of a few old posts.
Sean

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sean_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-20, 04:09 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: What to look for

Welcome to the forum Sean. From my experience the mk1 (curvey) had some issues with wiring shorts on the sub frame where the loom rubs on some bolts. I never had any issues with my mk2 (pointy) just general corrosion on fittings and fixtures. Fairing lowers can hide a whole load of issues with corrosion. Both my SV's, mk1&2 were the S faired versions as I like some wind protection however both are heavy on the wrists especially riding in traffic.
I'd like another SV but I'd go for a naked one and fit a bikini style fairing as my joints can't take the crouched riding position anymore.
As with any secondhand bike, there are good and bad. Look for a service history. Does the bike look cared for . Does the milage match the condition. Is it straight, both wheels in line, could there be crash damage. Any finance owing?
Hth, I'm sure others will add to my comments.
John
Old 18-04-20, 04:19 PM   #3
Sean_Morgan

Thanks for your reply John and thanks for clearing up the subject of curvy and pointy, I've been having a read of a few posts and wondered what that particular terminology referred to
I'll bare your points in mind while I'm searching
Sean

Old 18-04-20, 06:22 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

SV's tend to fall into two categories, they are either a first or second bike for someone a bit like yourself who is new to riding and taking sensible steps up the ladder, or they belong to a somewhat steadier rider who tends to keep it for quite a while and not do huge mileage. There are exceptions to both of course, but if you think along those lines.......

The first bikes may have had a lot of owners as they change hands regularly, had numerous mods done to them because it's something we all love to do to a bike when we get it, and because people have been learning on them they can have a few scars and suffered some marginal maintenance..... There are lots of these about.

The second lot tend to be lower mileage, better looked after, and may have only had one or two owners. They are harder to find and tend to be more expensive, but may cost you less in the long run......

Personally I would look for the later unless you're confident about your bikes and can spot the lemons so read the advert well, ask how long they have had it, what have they used it for, where have they been on it...... There is usually a reason a bike has changed hands three times in a year!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-20, 06:24 PM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Forgot to ask, where are you Sean?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-20, 07:29 PM   #6
Sean_Morgan

Thank you for that Red Herring
I'm not in a huge rush, I already have 2 wheels and it's not like we're getting out for pleasure rides at the moment, I'll bide my time and wait for a "right" bike.
I'm in Newark on Trent

Old 18-04-20, 07:35 PM   #7
Sean_Morgan

Here's my current bike, how it turned up at my house and how it looks now. The paint job wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny, it was only a rattle can job, but it's a 20 year old bike and it was only £450

Old 18-04-20, 08:01 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

SV650's are excellent bikes, lively and handle well and are really reliable. They do deal with mileage well, there are reports of them going over £100k. I'd be keen to buy one that has been garaged and kept greased, they can corrode and the fixings can be a pain to get out if they've been let go. It saves every job being a pain in the ass.

If you can get one that someone has done the suspension on (properly!) already you'll find it better value than inevitably doing it yourself
Old 18-04-20, 11:02 PM   #9
zsv650s

Grab yourself the thou much better bike just as easy to ride with a bit more poke when you need it.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-20, 07:50 AM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Welcome along Sean.

I can vouch for the all round ability, sturdiness, longevity, and reliability of the sv650. I have the SV650s from 2000 (curvy model). I bought it in 2010 with 19500 miles on the clock and it now has 94000 miles on it. It has enough poke in it to get me into and out of trouble, has given me almost no trouble, and certainly nothing major. I use it for scratching, commuting, touring, and back lane bimbling. It has taken me 500 miles in a day with no problem.

Hugely underrated bikes by many people who see them as no more than a step up to something more powerful after passing their test. You need to own and ride one for a good few years to fully appreciate just what a cracking bike they are. And that absolute peach of an engine!

I’ve ridden mine for ten years now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

Last edited by garynortheast; 19-04-20 at 07:54 AM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote