SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-20, 01:04 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default "they all do that"

I've now done 260 miles on the Zed and I've noticed that it clunks when changing gear from 5th to 6th and back, all other changes are perfect. I've tried rev matching, blipping, changing at low revs and high revs - always a clunk.

Thinking I'd got something going wrong I thought I'd mention it at the first service meanwhile I looked at the Z900RS forum. There are 18 pages from all over the world devoted to the 5th-6th-5th clunk. Oh!

The only dealer that pursued it was (one) in Germany - who contacted Kawasaki Germany and were told to strip the bike down, still waiting to hear the results on that. All other dealers said: "they all do that", it seems they must teach that at mechanic's school worldwide.

Suzuki really need to hold classes on how to build gearboxes, they seem head and shoulders above other manufacturers.
Old 24-08-20, 07:58 PM   #2
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: "they all do that"

Didn't know Suzuki built 'em ?
Old 25-08-20, 06:45 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
Didn't know Suzuki built 'em ?
What I meant was Suzuki gearboxes are superior to other manufacturers' gearboxes, so Suzuki should teach the others how to make them (for a price).

If your comment was humourous then: "whoosh", I missed it (wouldn't be the first time I've missed the joke).
Old 25-08-20, 07:35 AM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Sounds like its PSP.

(Post Sales Paranoia)

Agree on Suzuki gearboxes. Slick. The best (for as long as I can remember.)
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-20, 06:45 PM   #5
Ruffy

"They all do that" doesn't make it right!

Personally, I've always found Yamaha gearboxes to be the ones I've got along with best (although perhaps that's simply because Yamahas represent the lion's share of the bikes and mileage I've ridden over the years). I would agree that Suzuki are 'up there' in the rankings though.

Last edited by Ruffy; 25-08-20 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Punctuation!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote