SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-05-20, 02:01 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Now Germany is looking at bike noise

Germany is very big on noise pollution, try cutting your grass on a Sunday and see what happens. in some places on a sunday you cant even put your washing machine on. its worse than some Isles of Scotland and they are effin bonkers.

MONEY.. DB meters on Scam Cams with fines through your letterbox.

oohhh and its also visorcrap.... that site spouts them biggest utter borlocks mosttimes.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 08:31 AM   #12
Seeker
Mega Poster

it's spreading: https://www.visordown.com/news/gener...austrian-route
Old 01-06-20, 08:53 AM   #13
embee
Mega Poster

Had to laugh!

The last line in the link regarding Austria goes
"One such outcome could force manufacturers to include devices that help to silence exhausts and keep them lower so as to avoid their models being caught out."

I believe they're called silencers here, or Schalldämpfer in German (literally sound damper).
They'll never catch on ………………….
Old 01-06-20, 09:10 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm

Exhausts only work properly when the baffles are still in there, many remove them, including a few bikes around our way. I doubt a stock SV would trigger above 95dB
so I'm OK ( not that I intend to go to Tyrol anyway ).

Once again the actions of a few % who want wide open pipes are causing problems for the many who really don't want to ride around sounding like a mobile crow scarer.

I am still surprised MOT does not check noise in both cars and bikes, I know some people put baffles back in for MOT, but some don't and they still seem to pass.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 09:28 AM   #15
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm

Exhausts only work properly when the baffles are still in there, many remove them, including a few bikes around our way. I doubt a stock SV would trigger above 95dB
so I'm OK ( not that I intend to go to Tyrol anyway ).

Once again the actions of a few % who want wide open pipes are causing problems for the many who really don't want to ride around sounding like a mobile crow scarer.

I am still surprised MOT does not check noise in both cars and bikes, I know some people put baffles back in for MOT, but some don't and they still seem to pass.
True but providing the exhaust was designed to use a baffle (or probably better to say sound damper/db killer...a removable piece, not the baffling built in to the can which some loons remove). Some exhaust systems are designed very well, but then they include an optional db killer so that they can comply with regulations and sell to a broader market if you put it in it will actually run worse (but quieter).

A stock SV exhaust will not be near 95db so you're save

MOT testers do have 'some' obligation to prevent stupid exhausts, I forget the exact terminology but it appears to be open to interpretation/not a defined value as they seem to be able to use their discretion
Old 01-06-20, 02:31 PM   #16
Craig380
Mega Poster

On my AL7, there's a sticker which states the noise level of the standard can at 4,500rpm is 77dB!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 10:08 AM   #17
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Comparing dB levels, every 10dB doubles the noise level, so 95 is 4x as loud as 77. 95 would not be allowed in a workplace, 77 is quieter than your vacuum cleaner.

https://decibelcar.com/decibel-equiv...hats-how-loud/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-06-20 at 10:10 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 12:24 PM   #18
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

GSXR with stock exhaust is above noise level for Castle Combe. So are quite a few other bikes stock.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 12:45 PM   #19
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
GSXR with stock exhaust is above noise level for Castle Combe. So are quite a few other bikes stock.
I was about to say their limit is only 87db but I've just reread the article and it says 80db!
This can only be a push for electric bikes.
Old 02-06-20, 07:51 PM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

My SV kept tripping the noise meter located at the beginning of the pit wall at Brands, especially in the rain. It baffled (good pun...) the testers there for a while as they black flagged me several times believing I had taken the baffle out since they had tested me, only to find it still in place! We eventually worked out that with a K&N filter, no snorkel and the front of the tank on 10mm risers it was the intake making the noise, especially in damp more dense air. I've just adapted my line away from the wall there now and have no further issues.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote