SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-06, 08:17 PM   #1
wtdafk

Default Dam car drivers

ok im asking you guys for you opionion on what just happend to me,
where i live there is one of the old style railway crossing, the ones with the lil man who comes out and opens and closes the gates for trains, well every time its closed the traffic tails back quite a way and being on the bike i just go past all the cars and wait by the gate, on this occation i done the same and as i got to the crosing the man was about to open them, i gave a rev of my engine to show my presence and pulled along side one of them people carrier's i was i was slightly infront of this car but couldent get to close to the barriers i made eye contact with the driver so he knew i was there and proceded to pull away, as i pulled away he also attempted to pull away nearly knocking in to my bike! i had to stear v quick to stop him goin in to the rear side of my bike,
the question im asking is if he had hit me whos fault would it of been insurance wise? i think he done it on purpose because he was jelous that i didn't wait in the big que of cars.
Old 22-02-06, 08:22 PM   #2
Jdubya

Not too sure about the insurance issue but there will always be jealous, bike-hating prats out there so just be ultra cautious matey Lovely roads down your side of the county anyway
Old 22-02-06, 08:22 PM   #3
Last Action Pimp

what a w*nker, you get that alot, people in cars do not like to be beaten by bikes at traffic lights or railway crossings. thats why i always go for it when i have pulled up along a car at some lights and railway crossings, because they are alot bigger than us and can do alot of damage, but were quick (well some of us)

i would say that if he had hit you, he would be to blame as he hit you (but i dont know what an insurance company would say)

what annoys me the most is people who move so you cant get past them and people who cut into your braking distance (i always like to toot, then over take (if safe) tell them what i think of them and bugger off) but i am a good boy really
Old 22-02-06, 08:27 PM   #4
wtdafk

well he got a not so pleasent wave shall i say an a nice long beeeep as he pulled in to his driveway lets jus hope he relises that maybe he shouldent do things like that
Old 22-02-06, 10:41 PM   #5
BigDog

Two strikes against him
1. if he hit you in the back of the bike then that is his fault.
2. if he hit you and you wern't moving that is his fault too.
Old 22-02-06, 11:13 PM   #6
Demonz

When I did my DAS course on this we were told to always pull in as much as possible behind the first car in the queue. I never asked if this was a legal thing or just for safety (im sure someone will clear it up). If it was for safety I think its pretty silly as I always feel more exposed in this position and feeling more likely to be hit as you can never get in enough and when you do you are side on to the vehicle facing you. So i always go to the front and get off quick smart.
Old 23-02-06, 01:53 PM   #7
SVeeedy Gonzales

I always used to go to the front of queues like this, at lights, etc. and I had a few similar occurances.

The IAM guys I've been out with said that it wasn't wise (car drivers tend to get upset when bikes go right to the front of a queue, including past the first car) and that it's safer and easier to go just behind the first car. The second car is less bothered, and they're slower off the mark than the first car and there's a big gap between them you can go into.

I've stopped going right to the front unless I'm riding in London (when car drivers don't mind you doing it and even expect it)