SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 31-08-09, 06:32 PM   #1
Rich
Mega Poster

Default My First Off!

Well after a great weekend of camping in Porlock it all ended abit sour and sore. I ended up in a bush and the bike parked up a bank 30yards down the road. I was lucky there wasn't any traffic coming otherwise i'd be in org heaven .

After we left the campsite I was cracking on and got to a tight left hander about 5mins from camp when in a sureal slow mo way the bike left me and I ended up rolling into the bushes on the other side of the road. The bike found a nice place to park up against a bank.

I approached the corner no differently to any others, It must have been a mixture of numpty rider, cold tyres and sh!t on the road from the rainfall we had earlier. I remember slowing for the corner like normal so it's a mystery to me why this happened. I couldn't have been doing anymore than 40mph at most.

Anyway nothing major wrong with the bike other than cracked and scraped plastics all of which will be replaced. Some of it salvageable and some not worth bothering with. The R & G did a fantastic job of saving the frame and engine and took the brunt of the slide.

It had to happen at some point as it will to 99% of us, ride safe and get some R & G's if you havent got any.

Bike is now in pieces and part numbers taken ready for ordering.

Picture time now, none of the crash site though as I had to get out the way rather sharpish due to the lack of pavements.

Very lucky to get away with such little damage, first thing on the list to buy is another set of R&G's. My poor bike ...I'll soon be back though

Rich
Old 31-08-09, 06:35 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: My First Off!

Not good, but at least you're ok and the bike is fixable. R&G's did their job too
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-09, 06:37 PM   #3
kwak zzr

its sad to see but u seem chirpy, you'll soon be back on the road.
Old 31-08-09, 06:37 PM   #4
sv-robo

Total bummer mate but at least you ok & you don't look like your wasting any time getting the bike fettled...best of luck.
Old 31-08-09, 06:38 PM   #5
diamond

Glad your ok Rich, fingers crossed the bike will be looking as good as new fairly soon.
Old 31-08-09, 06:43 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

looks like you got off pretty lucky for 40mph, part'll be expensive on that though
As always main thing's you're okay.

Were you running sports tyres or something?
Old 31-08-09, 06:44 PM   #7
Rich
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
its sad to see but u seem chirpy, you'll soon be back on the road.
I've supprised myself, I thought i'd be in depression but after seeing how far the bike went on it's side it could have been alot worse and i'm still here. Not worth worrying about, it'll get fixed and then i'll just have to take it steady learning to corner again.

Thanks for you comments people!
Old 31-08-09, 06:46 PM   #8
DMC

Sorry to see your bike like that, but glad your ok. Hope you get back on the road soon.
Old 31-08-09, 06:47 PM   #9
Rich
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
looks like you got off pretty lucky for 40mph, part'll be expensive on that though
As always main thing's you're okay.

Were you running sports tyres or something?
Running on the Bridgestone 016's, never had any problems with the tyre other than having to take it steady in the wet. The corner before which is of a similar style they felt fine so I had no problem chucking it in again, it just felt like the bike was taken from under me, no feel what so ever!
Old 31-08-09, 06:51 PM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Running on the Bridgestone 016's, never had any problems with the tyre other than having to take it steady in the wet. The corner before which is of a similar style they felt fine so I had no problem chucking it in again, it just felt like the bike was taken from under me, no feel what so ever!
Must have been diesel or something? unlucky though
quite frightening really.