SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 19-01-08, 04:41 PM   #1
ASM-Forever

Default Went for a ride today....

Typical January weather....as i walked out the door the ground was wet, but as soon as i was a few miles from home, it started ****ing down. What with the wet road/spray, it made interesting going. Having said that i had a great ride!

I took in Phil/Stu's route between Oxford and Aylesbury.

Roads were clean so quite a lot of grip to be had, really enjoyable.

I pulled up at On Yer Bike, for another look( my subconscious wanted me to buy that 07 R1) but i decided i didn't trust myself enough to go in.

Instead i went into Aylesbury to DWR and had a chinwag(love that phrase!) and as it turns out they've just got a new dyno. So i'm booked in for that for next weekend and i'm getting a PC and filter to make it worthwhile. The baffle in my can is a right git to remove, so that will be forced out next week as well.

DWR have quite a few used bikes, well more than they usually do. An 05 Super Duke in black quite took my fancy....it would make a good foil for the R6. A 'good' tank range of 75 miles is a bit off putting though. For my commute i would have to fill up everyday. Apparently it eats chain/sprockets as well as tyres, but i guess given its nature, thats no surprise. Still....it would be a hoot around London.

They also had a silver SV1000s, that had a dent or two in the tank. For a while i thought kwak-zzr's might have made its way south, but probably not.

They also seem to be stocking lots of IXON leathers/clothes. I can't be sure but i think they're a decent brand. I had a look and they looked good quality. I mention it as they're offering a free trackday with any leathers.

So the good news(for my bank balance) is that i have decided against the R1 for the time being. The insurance is still ridiculous(x4 what i pay now!) and i really rediscovered my love for the R6 today. When its been tuned and i get around to putting some quality boots on it, it will be more than enough.
[lust-mode] Still that Super-Duke [/lust-mode]
Old 19-01-08, 10:29 PM   #2
bad-sv650

Default Re: Went for a ride today....

Where you bassed? Aylesbury is my neck of the woods. sort of.

but don't live there now. maybe meet for a ride out one day.
Old 19-01-08, 10:59 PM   #3
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-sv650 View Post
Where you bassed? Aylesbury is my neck of the woods. sort of.

but don't live there now. maybe meet for a ride out one day.
Marlow.(if you don't know where that is, think near Henley)

I get up to Aylesbury quite a lot as i'm always at DWR.

Keep your eyes peeled on this section, as we have quite regular rideouts. As the days get longer and the weather improves(touch wood) we're bound to have more.
Old 19-01-08, 11:28 PM   #4
bad-sv650

Cool. I'll be up for that!
Old 20-01-08, 10:03 AM   #5
Stig

Glad to see some of us are getting out at least.
Old 20-01-08, 01:32 PM   #6
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
Glad to see some of us are getting out at least.
My bike is filthy at the moment...i'm actually quite proud. When i took it to the garage yesterday the mechanic didn't believe it was the same bike!

I'm heading in to London tomorrow, so i'll clean it when i get back.

Consequently as i seem to have been the only one out yesterday i claim the title as the most hardcore rider. You mr.ape are a fair weather pansy.
Old 20-01-08, 01:33 PM   #7
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
My bike is filthy at the moment...i'm actually quite proud. When i took it to the garage yesterday the mechanic didn't believe it was the same bike!

Consequently as i seem to have been the only one out yesterday i claim the title as the most hardcore rider. You mr.ape are a fair weather pansy.
Old 20-01-08, 06:32 PM   #8
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post

Pah, I did 300 miles this weekend sir - all of it in sh*tty rain! The last 100 was without waterproof trousers too as I have sent mine back cos they have developed a leak in the crotch. was hoping to get an exchange but they are sending them back .

How much is your insurance for an R1 man? I've been looking at gettin a blade, and I got quoted £370 tpf&t by Carol Nash, with breakdown and European cover - not too bad I thought (but this was a 1997 bike). That does include a discount for a "future classic" bike (ie over 10 years old).
Old 20-01-08, 11:07 PM   #9
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Pah, I did 300 miles this weekend sir - all of it in sh*tty rain! The last 100 was without waterproof trousers too as I have sent mine back cos they have developed a leak in the crotch. was hoping to get an exchange but they are sending them back .

How much is your insurance for an R1 man? I've been looking at gettin a blade, and I got quoted £370 tpf&t by Carol Nash, with breakdown and European cover - not too bad I thought (but this was a 1997 bike). That does include a discount for a "future classic" bike (ie over 10 years old).
Whilst i'll admit that i made very little effort. I only used thebikeinsurer and i'm sure i could get the quote down. I think TPFT was about £1500 with H&S and any other insurer wanted five times that! Its value was about £8000 though and i expect its probably the highest insurance category. I'm sure the local scrotes would love to take it off my hands.

I can afford to pay that, but i would never pay over £1000 for insurance as a matter of principle. I also expect the R6 will drop to a modest few hundred FC, so its definitely more of a bargain.

I only have 3 years no claims though...i expect you have more?

Also as i said, i had a great time on Saturday even though the weather was ****ty, so i think the R6 still has a lot to offer me.

I will probaly look again at a R1 in a years time, hopefully that extra years no claims will make all the difference.

Its probably all a blessing anyway as i want to ride the R6 with some decent rubber on, when my knee is fixed and the sun is shining. I havn't done it justice otherwise.
Old 21-01-08, 10:39 AM   #10
philbut

Sounds like a plan. I personally think ?500 is my upper limit for insurance, but then I am a poor student. Stick with the R6 mate, you still need to get the pegs down on it before you change up to a litre bike . I'd love an R6, and realistically, you dont need to go 180mph do you. I was looking at earlier blades as my house for next accademic year wont have a garage, so i need to get something that i can do long distance on plus go mental at the weekends (Don't want 2 bikes out on the road)- thinking early blade or zx9R at the mo as both are in the sort of sports tourer end of the market now, and suprisingly cheap. I only have 2 years no claims - why not look at an older bike, i think you might be able to get that ?1500 down significantly. You can puick up some real bargins with all the extras fully sorted. Saw a ZX9R on ebay, buy it now in mint condition with under 10K onm the clock for 2 grand! not bad really. The blade and the R1 are both group 17 insurance btw, which is the highest I believe. A ZX9 is group 16