SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: What power will the 3rd gen SV have?
No change, same power/torque as now - 72bhp/47lb ft 10 66.67%
Same power, but with torque rising by at least 10% 0 0%
Between 72 - 80bhp + extra torque 5 33.33%
Between 80 - 90bhp + extra torque 0 0%
The power to change minds! 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-01-09, 02:33 PM   #1
SV650S_DUB

Default Expected power outputs for the 3rd Gen SV.

Good afternoon,

with all the collective speculation on what a 3rd Gen SV series might look like it's left me wondering what sort of power outputs, horsepower and torque people reckon this bike, should it ever be made, is most likely to offer up.
If the Gladius is taking the mantle of Suzukis introductory v-twin can we realistically expect a little more oomph from a new SV?
Are we looking along the lines of the kind of extra power the Bandit 600 went when it grew to 656, that being no extra top end but a 10% rise in torque delivered at a low revs?
So which of the power pools do you consider most probable?

Last edited by SV650S_DUB; 15-01-09 at 02:39 PM. Reason: my shabby spelling!
Old 15-01-09, 02:36 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Expected power outputs for the 3rd Gen SV - pole

Here we go again.

If it is still 650 then it will be weaker yet again due to the stricter emissions laws which have killed off the SVthou.

Biek strategy to get through noise laws is to dump loads of fuel in to dampen the sound (basically, a healthy engine sounds nice and crisp, which the eurocrats hate!), then bolt on 11 million tonnes of catalytic convertor.

So basically rip the cat out, remap it, fit some stage 2 cans... and you might be somewhere near the engine they wanted to design in the first place!
Old 15-01-09, 06:48 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Expected power outputs for the 3rd Gen SV - pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
If it is still 650 then it will be weaker yet again due to the stricter emissions laws which have killed off the SVthou.
+ 1, if they make a 700cc then expect it to be the same as the current SV's but with stricter emissions laws. I can't see Suzuki upping the power, despite me tuning an SV to near death, as the power isn't the SV's low point.
Old 15-01-09, 06:51 PM   #4
zsv650

Default Re: Expected power outputs for the 3rd Gen SV.

750cc would be great with about 80bhp suit me just fine and a r model with better spec'd bit's on would be ace.
Old 15-01-09, 06:53 PM   #5
hovis

keithd
Old 15-01-09, 06:54 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
750cc would be great with about 80bhp suit me just fine
You can get that from a 650cc.
Old 15-01-09, 06:56 PM   #7
zsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
You can get that from a 650cc.
new engine from suzuki i meant i can't be bothered to sort that all myself rather buy something that already has it .
Old 15-01-09, 07:20 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Current generation "moderate" bike engines are being quoted at typically 12.5Bar BMEP at max torque, and something like 11.8Bar at 20m/sec mean piston speed (actually a representative measure of intake gas "mach index" or "gulp factor", but a convenient tool).

Translated into real world numbers that equates to near as damn it 100Nm per litre torque, so a 650 with 65Nm. Power will depend on stroke (MPS/RPM in other words), but say it was still a 650 with 81x62.6mm BxS like my curvey, that's around 61kW (82BHP) at 9600rpm. That would be very respectable indeed.

The likes of Fireblades and YZF-R1 are claiming nearly 14Bar BMEP max torque and 13Bar at 22m/sec MPS max power. Now I have to say I find these figures somewhat optimistic, even allowing for the pretty extreme nature of the engines and not detracting from the abilities of Honda and Yamaha. The figures come as a result of the various efficiencies, volumetric, thermal, and mechanical, and from what I know it's hard to see quite where they are getting much above 13Bar max torque and 12.5Bar at max power (and 22m/sec MPS is extremely good going for a 4-valve, it's down to valve/bore area and gas speeds), but maybe they are.

Those numbers would give 72Nm and 74kW (99BHP) at 10500rpm in a 81x62.6mm SV650, but I doubt it would be anywhere near achievable without the benefits from 4cyl intake/exhaust tuning, so don't start dreaming.
Old 15-01-09, 07:27 PM   #9
sinbad

The point of the SV650 is that it's a cheap bike to run and insure. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see cubic capacity increase a little and power stay more or less where it is, within 5bhp or so. What they won't do is attempt to make it any quicker. They could, but that's not the point of the SV650.
Old 16-01-09, 07:56 AM   #10
MattCollins

In AU at least the SV650 has a very important role to fill as an entry level bike. It is guaranteed a place in the model line and most importantly (to me) longevity with LAMS rules (650cc + 150kW/tonne - no third party restrictors...). Any increase in capacity would be local suicide with the 650 going the same way as the 1000 if it had to compete with open class bikes.

The one area that Suzuki could do a little work is in the suspension department. I would have gladly paid the extra $500 (that is about what it would cost from OEM, but could be more than the market would bear) or so for adjustable cartridges and shock with proper valve stacks instead of forking out $$$$ for aftermarket parts. That is my only grizzle with the bike, but I will cop that for a nice bike that suits my needs.

Cheers