SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Stuff Wanted Looking for SV bits, nothing in For Sale? Place a plea here.

Old 27-07-23, 05:24 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Shimano Hollowtech

OMO i'm looking for a 1st generation shimano hollowtech crank bolt the 2nd Gen II dont fit and as far as i know the bolt thread is about 22mm not the 20mm of the II.

Thanks Bibs
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-23, 12:39 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Shimano Hollowtech

tiz ok managed to get one.
Old 28-07-23, 04:19 PM   #3
redtrummy

I did spend a bit of time looking but our internet keeps dropping out. Seems that its easy to damage it and the first gen are becoming scarce. Pleased you got one
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-23, 04:49 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
I did spend a bit of time looking but our internet keeps dropping out. Seems that its easy to damage it and the first gen are becoming scarce. Pleased you got one
thanks for looking m8. had to buy a full SH set but it was only £15 and considering most nutz are about £8 i cant complain. if i only knew more about the crank sets i would have changed the whole lot out for square peg type or whatever they are called. the bike is pretty old and dont want to go spending mega bucks but at the same time its a good one.
Old 28-07-23, 10:05 PM   #5
redtrummy

It is a minefield. They have heen various attempts to create there own markets using different solutions on bottom brackets. Different thead / axle sizes and some pressfit designs. However recently the old BSA standard has had a resurgence. The square tapered (what I think you are referring to does work well and is fairly simple but does need an extractor to remove the crank arms from the shaft. However their are two standards an ISO and a JIS so you have to be careful to make sure you get compatiblity. I fell foul of this on upgrading a crank set.
Old 01-08-23, 09:45 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

well the search continues. the crankset is the wrong one...

think i'll just fit square taper. once done then as far as i know all square taper are the same fitting.
Old 01-08-23, 04:39 PM   #7
redtrummy

No Bibio Not all crank arms are compatible on a square taper and work, as I said you need to ensure that the crankset and the bottom bracket are the same standard. The majority now are JIS. I fell foul of this though, after buying a new chainset and fitting it I could not get the chain line correct and then the front mech would not adjust enough so Iended up with a new bottom bracket to get it to work properly. Some info here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BikeMechani...llowtech_1_vs/
Unless you have a really good local bike shop near you I would give SPA cycles of Harrigote a ring and hope you get the right guy. They are usually very good (or was last time I rang them) It would appear that hollow 1 uses an Octilink bottom bracket, I have no idea what that is. Here is a link to bottom brackets https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards, it does not mention Shimano but it does show how many standard there are. The other problem is ,as Hollowtech 1 is quite old so there is not much info on it. Would it be possible to have a bolt made? Plenty of classic bike chaps do small engineering work. I think crank bolts use normal threads - on the BSA BB one is LH

Adam would be the guy that could help but unfortunately hes not around much these days. By the way I do find SPA own badged stuff good and reasonably priced . Good luck
Old 02-08-23, 07:53 AM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Bibs post a picture of the crankset. I've got a couple of hollowtech 2 chainsets knocking about if it's just for a get around. Octalink didn't last long, still required a special extractor tool and wasn't any better than square taper.
Hollowtech 2 uses 24mm spindle and pretentions using an end cap, secured with two bolts, is very simple and user friendly.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 11:43 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

hi mav. the crankset looks identical to the hollowtech II XT but its the earlier one without the locking hole on the main shaft at the single arm side. the main adjustment nut is about 22mm instead of the 20mm of the II.

i would guess that the II would slide straight into the bearing set though.

thanks
Old 03-08-23, 11:47 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

ok i just looked at the top of the crank arm and it says ermm hollowtech II... wonder why the nuts dont fit. think i'll pull the arm off again at the weekend.....