SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-05-12, 11:37 PM   #21
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: IOM TT - balls of pure steel

Not to race i'll add to go watch for the week. I think it would be one of the best holidays you would ever had

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 11:43 PM   #22
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

ever ridden the TT course out of TT week when it's just normal roads? Much of it has speed limits and is pretty boring, but the mountain section makes me all emotional and gives me a whacky visceral feeling. Also the other section towards the west of the island (can never remember the name) through the walls and tree's like and alpine section..

Also, not on the TT circuit but from peel upto the petrol station near kirkmichael is immense with the view of the sea

my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHZPD...5&feature=plcp
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 11:50 PM   #23
Fallout
Mega Poster

Nice vid chap. I love the visibility on the corners. You can only dream of that around here. You can take corners fast if you like, but you have no idea what's round them. That wide open moorland looks awesome for being able to take corners fast with confidence. And a nice bit of dnb too!
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 12:00 AM   #24
DJ123
Mega Poster

Good video Riding the IOM course is on my 'bucket list' .

BMW F800ST
Old 02-05-12, 12:02 AM   #25
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
Nice vid chap. I love the visibility on the corners. You can only dream of that around here. You can take corners fast if you like, but you have no idea what's round them. That wide open moorland looks awesome for being able to take corners fast with confidence. And a nice bit of dnb too!
The A339 from B'stoke to Alton isn't that bad when there's very little traffic. There's quite a few overtaking spots

BMW F800ST
Old 02-05-12, 12:30 AM   #26
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Good video Riding the IOM course is on my 'bucket list' .
Cheers lads, we did a mini trip to the isle of man in 2010 called "Plan'o'Man" which was basically a weekends camping, couple of laps of the tt course, some free time to go and explore wherever you wanted, and a failed rideout which was meant to be led by the local IAM group (who promptly fecked off into the distance and were never seen again!) but it was a laugh of a weekend..

I'd be tempted to organise something similar again. We camped at peel on the west of the island, dinky little campsite, cheap enough, town just down the road with pubs and restaurants, we all had a great laugh.. The ferry can be as cheap as £79 return if you book at the right time (gets more expensive the closer you get to your sailing date). Reckon it's something you might be interested in this year?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 06:53 AM   #27
Stig

Quote:
I can't remember where I saw it, but the guy who did the bike wobble then hit the wall was properly messed up for a long time. A marshal practically saved his life by standing in front of him and causing bikes to swerve round him until the flags slowed them down. Pretty sure he never rode professionally again, where as I believe Cummin's was riding again the next year.

Best not to hit brick walls, or fly off cliffs at 100mph+, in case that wasn't obvious.
Richard Quale aka Milky Bar Kid. He does tours around the course and does hospitality during the TT now.
Old 02-05-12, 07:08 AM   #28
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
ever ridden the TT course out of TT week when it's just normal roads? Much of it has speed limits and is pretty boring, but the mountain section makes me all emotional and gives me a whacky visceral feeling. Also the other section towards the west of the island (can never remember the name) through the walls and tree's like and alpine section..

Also, not on the TT circuit but from peel upto the petrol station near kirkmichael is immense with the view of the sea

my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHZPD...5&feature=plcp
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
1st time i went to the Island, I rode from Peel to Kirkmichael & was in awe of the scenery, it's so beautiful there.
Went to watch the Southern 100 last year which was my introduction to road racing in real life, I was so blown away that I booked again for this year. Think of a short TT with Mass starts & it'll give you some idea. It's a damned sight cheaper & just as exciting as the TT.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 08:17 AM   #29
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
The A339 from B'stoke to Alton isn't that bad when there's very little traffic. There's quite a few overtaking spots
Yes mate. The A339 is pretty good. Many a fun overtake. Visibility round the corners still suffering from the typical hedgerows though. I'd like to ride somewhere with big sweeping roads where you can see what's coming round the tight corners so you can take em properly.

Quote:
The ferry can be as cheap as £79 return if you book at the right time (gets more expensive the closer you get to your sailing date). Reckon it's something you might be interested in this year?
I'd be interested mate. Reckon I could get at least one of my mates down here on board too. We've discussed the IOM a few times in passing, but not too seriously. A chilled out camping break would be a good way to have a go without the pressure of the full circuit during open season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Richard Quale aka Milky Bar Kid. He does tours around the course and does hospitality during the TT now.
Glad to hear he's doing ok now.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 08:58 AM   #30
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
You can see very well on the mountain, except where the walls close in. But always use your mirrors, even at Mach 1! coming up to veranda there is an open, elongated s-bend that you can take a racing line through when clear... I checked my mirror at 100+ before moving over to see a BMW1000RR stuffing me up the inside....

Quote:
Cheers lads, we did a mini trip to the isle of man in 2010 called "Plan'o'Man" which was basically a weekends camping, couple of laps of the tt course, some free time to go and explore wherever you wanted, and a failed rideout which was meant to be led by the local IAM group (who promptly fecked off into the distance and were never seen again!) but it was a laugh of a weekend..
Bloody great trip mate, I'd be up for it again, finances allowing.

Just like to point out the reason the IAM boys fecked off is, they took us down little lanes and didn't mark junctions or wait for us so we got lost. Went to play on the coast road instead and had loads more fun though!

Oh and to prove you can have fun no matter what, loaded bikes or whatever (and gratuitous self promotion) here is me and Paul at the Gooseneck...

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBydUbbRzN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njK6cOhaoPw
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote