SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-07, 12:31 PM   #1
Kylie

Default The Verdict

I hate with a vengeance most reality TV stuff, and all that Oprah/Springer nonsense. But I'm addicted to BBC2's "The Verdict" on this week. Shoot me now.

There's two things that set it apart, that they've real barristers (who's approach and demeanor is fascinating), and that they have a good variety of smart/experienced/interesting folk on the jury. Stan's heart is in the right place but he won't accept that others think differently and is too vocal. Portillo is doing pretty well, I like the subtle ways he is trying to control Stan. Archer lacks Portillo's patience but fights a good argument. And so on..

Its a very sensitive topic they're covering, but I think thats handled well too. I've seen some reports that they are exploiting rape for entertainment value, I don't agree, if anything they are opening a debate on just how difficult rape prosecutions are.

I'm hoping they don't spoil the end by doing a "here's what really happened" bit. Real life aint like that.

So who is lying?
Old 13-02-07, 12:36 PM   #2
tricky

Is Jeffery Archer in that ?

Am I right in thinking as a convicted criminal he wouldn't be able to sit on a real jury ?
Old 13-02-07, 12:38 PM   #3
Warthog

Default Re: The Verdict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
So who is lying?
Going by previous experience, Jeffrey Archer is.
Old 13-02-07, 12:39 PM   #4
Kylie

Quote:
Am I right in thinking as a convicted criminal he wouldn't be able to sit on a real jury ?
Yep. Last night he and Collymore had an argument and Stan brought that up. Archer was not pleased but did quite well by just giving up.
Old 13-02-07, 12:43 PM   #5
tricky

So Jeff, what where you convicted for ? perjury wasn't it ?
Whats that then ? oh its lying under oath in court isn't it !

Old 13-02-07, 12:47 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

Forced into watching it by the daughter as Lord Denison (The judge) told her how nice her voice sounded when he presented on an advocacy workshop she attended.

These reality type shows are not my cup of tea. But as an insight into how a legal case could be conducted it is at least worth watching
Old 13-02-07, 12:52 PM   #7
Kylie

Quote:
So Jeff, what where you convicted for
Feel a bit sorry for Archer (oh no, what am I saying!) as he has made some insightful comments, whereas Stan is just repeating the same thing over, but (as Stan demonstrated) Archer can be halted with a simple "who are you to talk?".
Old 13-02-07, 12:55 PM   #8
grh1904

I missed last nights due to work (2-10)

Does anyone know if the beeb are going to do an ITV daytime repeat ominbus thingy on another channel ??????

I forgot to set the video before going to work, but was thoroughly engrossed by Sunday night's show.

I've had some involvement in rapes before, and know how upsetting it can be for EVERYONE involved (I'm a Police officer), so I'll be watching this thread with interest to see evryone's reactions to rape trial.

I've been involved with a male on male rape, and had to deal with a public order incident outside a nightclub where the male who was accused of rape was set upon by the females friends upset that she was inside for making false allegations etc !!!!!!!!!!
Old 13-02-07, 12:55 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I find Collymore's views rather distasteful. He has been arrested for violence many times, most publically for beating up Ulrika Jonsson in Paris bar. I hardly think he will judge this 'case' on the evidence presented, but with his own warped views on 'acceptable' behaviour.

Archer should have responded in kind, so the public remember the kind of animal he is.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-07, 01:32 PM   #10
inevitable

The only person who wants to see Archer on the TV, is Archer.

The man is a proper Twunt.