SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-02-05, 11:26 PM   #1
SV-Sexy-virgin?

Default hydraulic clutch

any body every thought about fitting a hydraulic clutch to an sv is it
possible. if it is would there be any substantial gain from it ?? i would imagine Dr squid and Dr rictus would be the brains?

Gricey
Old 18-02-05, 11:51 PM   #2
Carsick

Do you not find the clutch on the 650 good enough? I don't think it's at all necessary, really, there just isn't enough power to have to worry about that kind of thing.
The thou has a hydraulic clutch as standard, I think.
Old 19-02-05, 12:29 AM   #3
21QUEST
Mega Poster

I could not tell you why some bike have it and some don't but it's not really to do with how much power the bike is making. Maybe not needing to worry so much about cable routing etc might be some of the reasons.

As for gains if I had a choice I'll choose cable operated clutch over a hydraulic clutch. I prefere the feel of cable operated clutches especially when I use to do wheelies . I don't think there are any gains to be had as such.

If I could (actually I'm pretty sure you can) I'll make the one on my 'thou' cable operated.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-05, 01:41 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Yes, or at least I'm pretty sure you can, as I remember the cable abutment is still there on the left engine case, if it is, find some bits off other Suzukis and you could have a cable clutch on your 1000 fairly easily.

On a 650 it's not quite so easy to switch over, as the clutch is operated in the conventional manner - that is, the clutch lifter pokes the pushrod through the gearbox mainshaft - you'd need a slave cylinder to fit into the drive sprocket cover area, not so easy to arrange as, say, if you had a outer lifter on the clutch cover, (like most Hondas do, for instance), there certainly are cylinders you could use, but fitting it into the cover would require a bracket rigid enough, or perhaps a new cover with an aperture to fit the cylinder into.

As the 650 clutch works just fine - assuming the lifter isn't worn, they wear pretty easy if not maintained - I don't see as there's any sizeable advantage in changing to hydraulic, particularly so as it's not that straightforward to arrange.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-05, 08:27 AM   #5
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Actually now my brain is working properly (ahem) it might be as difficult as it seems. I do now remember that 'Magura' do a cable to hydraulic conversion kit of of some sort as I knew someone who changed to hyraulic using said kit on his Honda Fireblade. Well it is actually a conbination of both really. You still need a little bit(small amount) of cable at the engine casing end.

If one has got the ability I'm sure one could do a coversion using parts from other bikes but the Magura would have everything you need in a box. Do a google/jeeves search for 'Magura hydraulic clutch' and you should find out a bit more.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-05, 01:05 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

the advantages of hydraulic are (as said earlier) you don't have to worry about cable routing, but mainly that you avoid cable friction/"sticktion".

The downside is cost and weight and complexity.

Modern cables are pretty good, so unless you've got very heavy clutch release loads (i.e. heavy springs) I can't imagine it'd be worth the hassle of doing a conversion.

If your 650 clutch lever feels heavy or notchy or you can feel a lot of "hysteresis" (i.e. it takes a lot more force to pull it in than to then relax it and release it) try a new cable first, and use some nylon lubricant down it.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-05, 10:02 PM   #7
SV-Sexy-virgin?

my clutch feels fine i was just wondering if there was any advantages

looks like ther isnt so i wont bother fiddling and leave well alone

cheers
Gricey
Old 21-02-05, 11:45 AM   #8
AccuracyInternational

I've got a hydraulic clutch on my 748 and it was a bit weird at first but you get used to it.

Not that you ever get used to a clutch as nasty as the 748's.