SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 11-06-07, 09:11 AM   #31
YoungMan

Default Re: Thinking of a Euro Trip - ideas?

I am on my Euro Tour right now, staying with mates in Zurich whilst waiting for the bike to get its 16k service here. 700 SF's - ouch -

Started by going up to John O'Groats with a mate. We were there around the 12th of May. It was the only dry bit of the UK! Stamford, Burnt Island, Ullapool, and Mey. An old pal runs the Queen Mum's castle up there. Its just around the corner from John O'Groats but Dunnet Head is really the most Northerly point on the mainland. Could see Hoy and even Cape Wrath 60 miles away it was so clear.

Back via Lairg to Fort William. We split at Penrith and I went over the Pennines on the A66 (it will be nice when they finish it) to Scotch Corner and Barnsley. 1200 miles in 6 days, should have toughned up my bum ... NOT

Set off again with new tyres on the 22nd of May and saw friends 'Down South'. Took the tunnel on the 26th and stayed over in Ardres before heading up to Verdun. Shocking battlefields, still torn up even after almost 100 years. Spent a couple of nights there and then headed for the Vosges. Bailed out of the rain in Abreschville, dried out overnight and played in the passes before riding through Switzerland. The Gotthard pass was closed, so got stuck in a smoky tunnel. Spent the next 3 nights in Como, nipping out in the dry moments to enjoy the Lakes and mountains. Quite a few Brits about.

Onto Sermione on Lake Garda to hook up with some friends who were touring by car, and then for 3 nights in Mestre just outside Venice. You can park the bike for free in Piazza de Roma at the end of the causeway and hop straight onto a Vaporetto for some sightseeing. I risked a light jacket and jeans and locked helmet to saddle - it was OK.

Out of expensive Venice land and up to the Dolomites, staying in Canazei. Tried to get into the Passo Poldoi hotel, but it was full. The area was chocker with bikes. Kiddies half term apparently. Spent two nights there in stunning scenery and amazing roads. As I left, twenty Porsches arrived with bikes swarming all around them were followed by 15 Ferraris. There were going to be some tears before bed time I thought.

Over the Rescher Pass crammed with caravans *sigh* and into Austria running late because the roads were so busy with returning holidaymakers. Got screwed by Austrian cops for not having a carnet/vignettte 65 euro fine. Not enough time to go over the Arlen Pass, and now I am in Zurich.

Going to Munich for a few days and then back here for the weekend when a mate from the USA is over on business - so a bit of a reunion for about 10 of us. Then off to Nuremburg and heading EAST on the 20th.

Anyone else planning on going to the Black Sea? Rumania, Poland, Hungary, etc etc??
Old 11-06-07, 11:27 AM   #32
Tim in Belgium

The East keeps playing on my mind, let us know how you find it.
Old 11-06-07, 11:38 AM   #33
YoungMan

Wilco - mucking about looking for somewhere to upload photos.

Was in Cambodia in April, rode a 250cc dirt bike round the Tonle Sap lake on me tod. Pnomh Penh, Battambang, Siep Riep, Kampong Thom and back to PP. Some nice pics of that as well..
Old 11-06-07, 02:34 PM   #34
Tim in Belgium

I meant Eastern Europe, but the far east sounds good too
Old 17-06-07, 10:24 PM   #35
YoungMan

Came back from Munich on Friday with a swinging hangover and stopped at Lindau for schnitzel and chip lunch. Add indigestion to rapidly growing list of ailments.
Roadworks and diversions before Friedrichshaven where the ferry can take you to Switzerland over the Bodensee for 13 Euros. Cuts out the vignette police in Austria and the big nasty tunnel.
Donned wet weather gear and dug out storm covers for luggage as it darkened rapidly in the Alps ahead. 50ks short of my target Zurich I pulled over into a rest area and parked under the roof of the gents toilets. Slumped down. Cold, soaking wet, tired, hungover, bilious and thinking "I just can't go on". The despair (looking back) was amazing. The rain was so heavy cars were pulling off the motorway.
30 mins later, still raining, climbed back on and finished the journey into arms of friends and a hot shower.
All the gear is dry and headed to Nuremburg tomorrow. Still cannot shake how down I was - never happened before.
Into the Czech Republic and heading for Karlsbad after Germany. Any tips welcome ref places and accommodation in Prague or anywhere else!
Old 13-07-07, 06:04 AM   #36
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post

It may be worth considering travelling down to Dover on the night before, so you can get an early start on the first day; even though I'm only 90 odd minutes from Dover, I like to get to Calais the night before, so I can get a bright early start on day 1. It just gives you a little more time actually across the border.

WE are going(from Wales) to France next month. Stopping overnight in a travelodge on the M2, 30 miles from chunnel - £15 per night for the room.