SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-07, 08:43 PM   #1
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Rear Shock Hydraulic Pre-load Adjusters

I have mentioned on here a number of times that I often carry a pillion, so adjusting rear pre-load is a regular occurrence. I am now the proud owner of a ZX-10R shock to improve things on the rear end, but the pre-load adjuster is them pesky threaded rings, which makes adjusting the pre-load a right PITA.

I've been scouting around to see if anyone does a hydraulic pre-load adjuster unit that can be retro fitted to a ZX-10 shock, to make this job a lot easier when this shock goes in. Only ones I can find are things like WP / Ohlins / Maxton that can be fitted to their own shocks.

Any one of you suspension gurus know if such a thing as an after market hydraulic adjuster exists, or is this a pipe dream?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-07, 10:35 PM   #2
Sideshow#36

No sorry not a suspension guru. But in the near future ill hopefully be upgrading to a ZX10/ZX6 Rear shock. Just wondered how easy they were to fit and weather and alterations were needed?
Old 29-01-07, 11:23 PM   #3
Robw#70

They are available from most of the shock manufacturers (ohlins,wp,hyperpro,nitron etc)from around £120 up
The Ohlins ones would be the hardest to fit to an OE shock due to the locating pins and they all can only be fitted to shocks with a threaded body provided there is enough room above the spring and it is the right dia
Old 30-01-07, 08:56 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow46
No sorry not a suspension guru. But in the near future ill hopefully be upgrading to a ZX10/ZX6 Rear shock. Just wondered how easy they were to fit and weather and alterations were needed?
See this thread linky. More info, search on 'ZX10 fitting'

Old 30-01-07, 09:06 AM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70
They are available from most of the shock manufacturers (ohlins,wp,hyperpro,nitron etc)from around £120 up
The Ohlins ones would be the hardest to fit to an OE shock due to the locating pins and they all can only be fitted to shocks with a threaded body provided there is enough room above the spring and it is the right dia
Thanks Rob. I found out that these manufacturers do the hydraulic pre-loads already, but it seemed they only fit their own shocks. You say that they can be fitted to any shock of correct diameter?

In that case does the shock need to be rebuilt to fit the added adjuster? Looking at the ZX10 shock, the threaded part is at the top. So if the adjuster needs to slide on to the shock, the spring needs to come off. That does not sound like a DIY job. Is it something I can fit myself?

Old 31-01-07, 05:02 PM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Looks like this is a pipe dream without spending lots of cash. Going with the 'Buy a decent C-Spanner' option to adjust the preload