SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-05-10, 08:10 PM   #11
sinbad

Default Re: blipping

I'm amazed how often this topic comes up for discussion, and by the stubbornness of some of the people who claim it's useless or unnecessary or simply not worth bothering with.

The theory is so simple to understand. It just works.

Everyone should be able to do this, even if they choose not to (for some reason). It's as much a part of riding a bike as anything else imo.

Last edited by sinbad; 24-05-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 24-05-10, 08:11 PM   #12
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi View Post
Cant say ive ever noticed the bike 'coasting' as when changing down I try to get speed right first by braking then quick change down with revs off, back on again once changed (depending on what ive slowed down for obviously lol)
With that approach you may be at the right road speed for the gear, but not the right engine speed for the gear you are going to be in.
Old 24-05-10, 08:12 PM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I'm amazed how often this topic comes up for discussion, and by the stubbornness of some of the people who claim it's useless or unnecessary or simply not worth bothering with.

The theory is so simple to understand. It just works.

Everyone should be able to do this, even if they choose not to (for some reason). It's as much a part of riding a bike as anything else imo.
TBH I think explaining it is harder than doing it!
Old 24-05-10, 08:15 PM   #14
Amanda

This is exactly the same thread I had a while ago. I now blip the throttle all the time - makes SO much difference.

Basically you pull in the clutch , down gear and blip throttle then let out the clutch. It's pretty instant and the ride is smoother cos the higher revs match the lower gear. Before I blipped I noticed you get a jolt when you change down gear.
Old 24-05-10, 08:18 PM   #15
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
TBH I think explaining it is harder than doing it!
The crazy thing is that that's true!

But the theory is simple. I think riders who don't recognise the need for it simply do not try to slow down with any great urgency for corners. You can get away with it if you ride like that, "there's no need".
Old 24-05-10, 08:19 PM   #16
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Basically you pull in the clutch , down gear and blip throttle then let out the clutch. It's pretty instant and the ride is smoother cos the higher revs match the lower gear. Before I blipped I noticed you get a jolt when you change down gear.
Blip very slightly before the down change, not afterwards. In practice it's almost instantaneous which I guess was why you wrote it like that
Old 24-05-10, 08:21 PM   #17
muddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by simesb View Post
With that approach you may be at the right road speed for the gear, but not the right engine speed for the gear you are going to be in.
know what you mean by that but I listen to the engine noise for gear change than look at actual speed etc, so far fingers crossed not made a bollox of it yet lol....

oh apart from when first got the bike and dropped to a too low gear as thought I was in a higher gear than I actually was going round a downhill hairpin at time and locked back wheel - oopsie! Just pulled clutch in and kicked up gear rather sharpish haha, brakes were on a tad already..

Might just give it a go and see how I do with it - like someone said - be a bit weird trying to brake and blip at same time... suppose ya never know till ya tried it!
Old 24-05-10, 08:21 PM   #18
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

In my humble but correct opinion the SV is practically unrideable at pace without blipping the throttle.
You let the clutch out quickly you give you arms and wrists a knackering not to mention to balls to tank altercations.
You let the clutch out slowly and you find as you are slowing down you are constantly feathering the clutch and hardly ever in the right gear.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-10, 08:27 PM   #19
Seggons

Things become really interesting when your braking with the front and rear brake while at the same time downshifting with a blip.
Old 24-05-10, 08:28 PM   #20
christian1000

With braking and blipping the throttle, is it best to use two or four fingers on the front brake lever? Or is it just a matter of preference?