SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-01-15, 12:06 AM   #1
wilfulmadam1

Default Security Alarm -which one?

I inherited a Alarm when I bought house 4 years ago, but not sure it's doing its job. I had a local company around 3 days ago (2 guys didn't seem trustworthy) and ADT (a creepy old man) came around yesterday. They BOTH were livid that I had the panic button at the side of my bed removed approx 31/2 years ago. One guy from the local company wanted to know who actually removed it and when - I don't like people raising their voices to me and Had to point out that I owned the thing and I would remove/install what I like. Choosing a trustworthy company is nearly impossible; neither company had been to my house before, but they seemed very agitated that the panic button had been removed. I am not convinced that 2 of them actually work for the companies.
Old 31-01-15, 12:08 AM   #2
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Re: Security Alarm -which one?

We have a friedland platinum I think its called. Very good and has lots of features.
Old 31-01-15, 12:21 AM   #3
wilfulmadam1

Thanks, I'll google and have a look. We are also having security cameras installed around property and I think the bullet type look less intrusive - wish we'd stayed inMarlow now!
Old 31-01-15, 12:41 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

does your local police service do a home security survey? if so get them round and let them give you ideas.

home security companies are notorious for ripping people off.

as for a panic device next to your bed its called a truncheon. lol. BTW i'm kidding, never ever confront someone breaking into your house, your possessions are not worth the risk of dying or catching some nasty disease that a lot of them carry. a panic button is only as good as to how long it takes the police to get there and scumbags know this so dont give a shizz if one goes off. now these scumbags are not murderers by nature and only want stuff they can sell easy to get their next fix. professional house breakers dont bother with the average house and tend to concentrate on 'premium' property and usually arrive with a large van and empty your house when your not it.

seriously, do you have anything in the house that is worth lots of money that would not be covered by your household contents insurance? if so then have a safe installed.

yes i know it not a nice experience having scumbags rake around your house but if they want stuff they WILL break in and take it, security or no security it makes no odds to them.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-15, 10:46 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Avoid the national companies. Use a local established company who will tailor the alarm system to your requirements. You do not say where you live. But my family have used these for multiple houses where the insurers insist on monitored alarms.

But an alarm is only as good as the response to it. My dad had his garage burgled. OK he lived 12 miles from the nearest police station and it took them 2 hours to respond to the call from the monitoring centre. by which time the sods had cleared out 50 years of tools and equipment.
Old 31-01-15, 11:54 AM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Echo the point about a recognised local company. The lack of interest and ridiculous price quoted by the likes of ADT put me off as well as the nuisance of dealing with a call centre. When the local company we used sold out to Stanley we took our business to another locally based one after it took four calls just to book the annual inspection.
Old 31-01-15, 03:26 PM   #7
wilfulmadam1

Thanks Bibio! Indeed, I do have a truncheon beside my bed-I suppose I could always massage them to death
My possessions are definitely worth dying for - or the other!
According to Zoopla, I do own a premium property))
Lastly, I do have a safe, although not bolted to wall or floor...
It's not only thieves I am trying to keep out of my property.
Old 31-01-15, 07:03 PM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Where are you based?

Here in Weston Super Mare we have an excellent company that installed home security and the like. I think it was them who put the fire alarm on the Grand Pier... Before it burned down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-15, 08:25 PM   #9
tonyk
Mega Poster

Deb's PM sent.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15, 11:18 AM   #10
wilfulmadam1

Ok Tony - where do I pick up my PMs? Well, I am only a junior member (feels ever so slightly embarrassed). Think O need to acquaint myself with FAQs!