SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-01-08, 12:18 PM   #1

Default not sure what to make of this

http://easywatercar.com/2books.htm

looks like it utalises electrolysis to release Hydrogen from the water using a catylst which mixes it with the intake gases, now it might work, but its a bit ..... daft?

I do like the idea, but what controls the rate of reaction, how long does it last? what happens when it gets hot? kaaaabooooom?

Whats your thoughts oh wise .org?
Old 15-01-08, 12:43 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: not sure what to make of this

Animated flashing banners = scam

next question...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-08, 12:57 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

It would work...but the energy you get out of combusting hydrogen is the same energy as put into spliting water into its component elements. So i cant see it working

The rate of reaction can be controlled by the catalyst type, and also the potential differance passing through the electrodes

Loads of gobbldy gook - if thi worked, surely we'd all be runing cars on tap water, and water would be really expensive as it would be taxed so highly!

Matt
Old 15-01-08, 12:57 PM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

ok, serious answer now, this device cannot work

it assumes you can connect a device that extracts hydrogen gas from water to the car's electrical system and use the gas to increase the power of your engine, and in turn your fuel economy. conservation of energy means that it will cost you at least as much energy to extract the hydrogen (by splitting H2O into H2 and O, not 'HHO gas' as they call it) as you get by burning the H2 (re-combining it with O to create H2O, water). in reality the efficiency will be far lower, the amount of hydrogen will be insignificant, it may well damage your engine and it will certainly load your electrical system having it on all the time the ignition is on...

see this: http://www.auto-facts.org/water4gas-scam.html

edit:: don't see that ^^^ - he's fallen for it, i didn't think ANYONE could be that daft but, well, i'm speechless
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 15-01-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 15-01-08, 01:05 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

I suspect the HHO is actualy water, and also they claim massive amounts of energy from a single gallon of water; if you did electolyse this, he hydrogen gained would not give as much energy as the equivilent (molecule for molecule) amount of petrol

I love these things, they promise so much...and deliver so little.

Matt
Old 15-01-08, 01:05 PM   #6
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Loads of gobbldy gook - if thi worked, surely we'd all be runing cars on tap water, and water would be really expensive as it would be taxed so highly!

It is though, waters more expensive than fuel anyway isn't it (bottled water).
Old 15-01-08, 01:07 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
It is though, waters more expensive than fuel anyway isn't it (bottled water).
You'd have to use deionised (distilled) water, other wise you'd get mineral deposits...so it gets even more expensive

Matt
Old 15-01-08, 01:11 PM   #8
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I suspect the HHO is actualy water, and also they claim massive amounts of energy from a single gallon of water; if you did electolyse this, he hydrogen gained would not give as much energy as the equivilent (molecule for molecule) amount of petrol
obviously calling water HHO is only intended to baffle the casual observer, but there is a huge amount of energy released when the two recombine, they use the combination of hydrogen and oxygen to blast rockets into space...

as for this device, i should perhaps say that it may appear to work, but that you will always be drawing energy from somewhere else in order to increase your fuel economy, electrolysis of hydrogen has to be a very inefficient method of doing so
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 15-01-08, 01:12 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

There's a name in the thermodynamics world for these sort of devices.
PMM2 = perpetual motion machine (of the second kind)

I used to be on a team assessing submissions for "inventions" when I worked at a major car manufacturer, outside people were trying to get funding for stuff. I reckon 80% of them fell into the PMM2 category, and very often just slightly different mechanical devices wrapped round the same old thermodynamics.

The only reliastic way of getting anything like this to work is to utilise exhaust heat which is otherwise wasted, but all the major manufacturers have been working for years trying to get practical energy recovery systems. I still think that's the way forward, there's a lot of high grade heat going begging in the exhaust of current conventional internal combustion engines.

Remember that changing any one sort of energy into any other sort of energy involves loss which cannot be recovered totally (look up "entropy").
Old 15-01-08, 02:00 PM   #10
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
...Remember that changing any one sort of energy into any other sort of energy involves loss which cannot be recovered totally...
really? what about electron energy levels? nuclear decay? a stationary particle in no gravitational or electromagnetic field has potential energy equal to it's mass x c squared, it can decay into two photons with equal kinetic energies of exactly half the potential energy of the particle, so long as they travel at exactly opposite velocities to conserve momentum. surely that's complete potential --> kinetic energy conversion right there

not particularly relevant i'll admit, but an example. what about a brick, i drop it, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy in the form of the brick moving, the brick heating up slightly and also the noise of the brick falling...

energy cannot be created or destroyed, but you can completely convert one type to another without "losing" some shirley?

not being funny, genuinely curious as to what you mean
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...