SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 18-06-10, 06:28 PM   #211
-Ralph-

Default Re: Always wear yer ferkin leathers. Graffic images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
You are all correct, well those of you who have said you aren`t medical experts anyway. I wouldnt have posted the pic if it was fake. You may want to ask Gene genie who lives in Mossley if there are witness appeal signs at the zebra crossing nr the diy shop. A friend of the injured asked me if I had heard about the accident today as he assumed that because I rode a bike I would know him. The flesh was removed by the car, not by going down the road.
Witness signs just prove there was an accident. Where did you get the link to the pic mate?
Old 18-06-10, 06:32 PM   #212
Electro

My mates phone had the pic he was in his house opposite the scene when he heard the crash
Old 18-06-10, 06:45 PM   #213
-Ralph-

Quote:
Pic taken by a mate of the biker who saw it all happen.
Quote:
My mates phone had the pic he was in his house opposite the scene when he heard the crash
Oh, well, if that's the case and you personally know someone who was at the scene and got the pic off their phone then that settles it.

You just never know with these things, 'cos so many "look what happened to this biker" emails and stuff go round that are completely nonsense and they get reposted on forums. If it seems too bad (or good) to be true, it usually isn't.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 18-06-10 at 06:48 PM.
Old 18-06-10, 08:44 PM   #214
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Jogging bottoms on a bike dont work when you wind it up going thru a village high st and a car pulls out.

This pic shows the bikers thigh. Both arms are badly bust and various other bad injuries. Pic taken by a mate of the biker who saw it all happen. This was in Mossley not far from Manchester a couple of weks ago.

It aint nice and it shows bone as the flesh has gone from the thigh so dont click then complain as you have been informed of the content.

Unfortunately in some cases even leathers aren't enough. I haven't shown my other half your pic, as it would make him sick, but I can testify that a leg can be made to look like that crashing in leathers too, head on with a car. Good job they have such things as plastic surgery and reconstruction, as this is the only way to make a leg work again, and look slightly more appealing. I'm sat looking at the results.
And yes, his leg probably looked like that too.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 18-06-10 at 08:46 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-10, 08:54 PM   #215
Specialone

Quote:

Fair enough mate, i personally was suspicous because i have seen leg wounds with less damage but look worse if you know what i mean.

Hope the lad recovers ok anyway.

Ps Ralph, empty your in box
Old 18-06-10, 09:08 PM   #216
thulfi

Well that pic looks pretty real to me.

As has correctly been mentioned, the femoral artery runs down the inner thigh. It works its way down towards the back of the knee, where it then divides into smaller branches, supplying the knee and the rest of the leg.

This unlucky biker is kind of lucky in that he hasn't broken any bones (by the looks of it). It's when you break bones that you are at risk of damaging arteries - unless you get stabbed deeply in the more exposed areas of the body but that's something else.

Also the thigh is made up of plenty bulky muscles, quads at the front and hamstrings at the back. Looks like this poor fella has taken out a good amount of his quads, but fortunately didn't break/snap his femur which probably would have left him in a much worse shape.

also you can see from this picture that the area that the biker damaged is supplied by small anastamoses (branches) from the femoral, so you wouldn't expect him to be gushing gallons of blood.

Last edited by thulfi; 18-06-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 18-06-10, 09:31 PM   #217
lukemillar
Mega Poster

The important thing in this thread is the meaning of the images posted which is to remind you to wear your gear everytime you ride! Questioning the images validity should not undermine that point - That is what I am trying to say. For instance, you often see government adverts on TV of drink drivers graphically wrapping themselves and their car around a tree. These are obviously staged and aren't real but yet the message remains the same.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 21-06-10 at 08:20 PM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-10, 10:14 PM   #218
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
That sort of damage could be done by hitting a damaged sharp piece of car bodywork I suppose, but gravel rash doesn't look like that.

We either need Electro to reply and tell us what the source was, or someone like Paiste or Specialone's OH to look at it and give us an opinion (not that I'd ask anyone to look at it who didn't want to mind!)

I reckon there would be blood soaked into the trackkie bottoms and all down the leg. Are there any main arteries down that section of leg that has been destroyed down to the bone?
Something similar but not quite as bad happened to a bloke locally many years ago. He hit the side of a car, his knee went between the wheel and bodywork, and the wheelarch edge cut through his clothing and sliced a massive chunk from his thigh as momentum carried his body over the bonnet. Someone who I know well saw the aftermath and said there was surpisingly little blood and it all looked quite clinical.

I doubt that is a fake somehow
Old 19-06-10, 08:49 AM   #219
Stig

The whole point of this thread was to let people know that even when wearing the 'correct' gear, serious injury can occur, so just think about what could have happened had I not been. The injury I received to my back was, although very nasty looking with the amount of deep bruising, insignificant in comparison to the rest of the injuries I received. But the truth of the matter is, I would have been dead had I not been wearing a back protector. Lets try not to loose that point. I was fully kitted up and still managed to receive injuries which nearly ended my life. Have a good weekend of riding all of you.
Old 21-06-10, 09:31 AM   #220
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Stig is spot on, the point of the thread is to show the value of wearing the correct gear at all times. I have cleaned up a lot of the chatty and argumentative posts, but hope to have left a balanced view of the thigh picture.

Lets stay on topic from now on.

Thanks
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 21-06-10 at 10:43 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote