SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 08-07-11, 03:26 PM   #241
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Always wear yer ferkin leathers. Graffic images.

I dont think that I have posted in this thread & I'm not going to read 20 odd pages to see if I have placed my 6 penny worth.
I see a certain post about sod the leathers, stick to the speed limits. As some people know I crashed just over 3 years ago on the way to work. It was a dark, wet January morning. The road I was travelling on is a National speed limit, single carriageway. I was travelling at about 50 mph when I hit something in the road entering a bend. The front wheel left the road so I couldn't steer around the bend. I hit a fence & 2 trees before coming to a halt in the centre of the road praying that the vehicle heading towards me would stop in time, which he did.
I clambered over to the side of the road in the worst pain imaginable. I looked down the road & my bike was in 2 pieces.
When the Ambulance turned up to sort me out, they asked if they could cut my jacket off as it looked expensive (it was just over £350 worth). I told them that they could do what they liked with it as long as they made the pain go away As it had done the job it was made for.

In Hospital I was told that if I wasn't wearing the gear that I had on I would be dead.

Luckily (he says) I got away with a metal plate holding my pelvis together & a broken back & 4 & a half months off work learning to walk. The only cut I had on my body was on my shin where the fence cut through my WORK BOOTS (because I wasn't wearing motorcycle boots). Needless to say, I wear proper gear even if I am going on any trip on the bike.
So, before coming out with stupid comments, wait until you have a bad off, then you may say whatever you like. Speed isnt the major cause of people getting hurt.

Last edited by mister c; 08-07-11 at 03:29 PM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 03:39 PM   #242
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Well said Colin and a reminder to everyone that even the most mundane of journeys can end in disaster.

The fact that you and Simon (and a fair few others I know) are still here to tell the tale and in relatively good nick is testament to the difference wearing good gear will make.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 04:16 PM   #243
BIGSTEVE

This was wearing proper gear although going by my head I need a better fitting helmet. Managed to get road rash in elbow through leather too although that was from lining rubbing.

Old 10-07-11, 05:25 PM   #244
aaron020873

sod the leathers stick to the speed limits??? WTF... Hitting the tarmac at 30 mph using your knees, elbows, arms or any other part of your body as brakes is not the way forward!!!!!! Let alone at 60 mph!!!! I'm so glad i had all my gear on when i came off at approx 45 mph, yeah i got broken thumb and fractured big toe and the complimentry month off work, but there was no broken skin or blood and i lived to tell the tale!!!!
as a side note what are peoples views on kevlar jeans for short journeys to the shops etc???
Old 10-07-11, 05:59 PM   #245
T33OWL

I got Kevlar Jeans as well as Leathers, if I'm going any distance the leathers go on. Shorter journeys tend to be the Kevlar / Draggin type jeans wit armour in them and the Dainese waterproof armoured jacket, boots and gloves.
Old 03-09-11, 03:51 PM   #246
sorebutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Speed isnt the major cause of people getting hurt.
Can you refence that to a credible source?

IF not have a look at some of the ROSPA reports freely available online.

Being hurt is usually caused by an impact of some kind, whether fist or lamp post, the harder it smacks you the more damage it causes. Speed is always a factor in traffic accidents, consider thousands of people walking in a crowded street, rarely to people even bump into each other let alone cause treatable injuries, their distance apart is often less than a second. The point in my post was that the OP admitted to excessive speed on a corner, I was not being malicious, leathers will of course tend to reduce the amount of injury, driving to the road and conditions (including speed) will preserve you, the bike and your leathers. Rightly or wrongly some may see the thread as indicating that leathers are the most important part of motorcycle safety - this is what I call the chelsea tractor mentality, ie you drive a tank/humvee etc and you won't get hurt. I commend the OP for posting the images, it was a factor in my own decision to to get a full set.
Old 04-09-11, 12:39 PM   #247
Destruktor77

My brother has been hit off his bike twice and the gear saved him majorly both times. First time on his ZX6-R, Volvo turned across his side of the road without looking, minor bruising and some rash from inside his Leathers (not much) bike written off.

Second time just April this year, T-boned by a Women coming out of a carpark, 2006 Superduke written off, broken Little toe, broken collar bone and quite bad bruising. With gear he'd have broken his foot and ankle, possible his shoulder and because he has a back protector (even though it was a standard one inside an Alpine star Jacket) it still stopped his back from getting injured.

Both times he was in the speed limit. Over here in Jersey, Channel Islands it's about 90% of bike related accidents are down to the opposite drivers errors, those are facts I've seen the stats posted in a local forum.

Gear works, even if it isn't the most expensive stuff.
Old 04-09-11, 06:48 PM   #248
sorebutt

Ok,

Hands up - it seems some of my assumptions have probably been more due to 'stereotyping' rather than a real grasp - (something most if not all people are prone to from time to time..) So I'll start a new thread which points to an accident research report.
Old 01-10-11, 11:14 AM   #249
bigbaz

Too right mate you gotta wear the right gear I got knocked off by hit and run driver and depite have good gear (shark helmet rica gloves tcx boots and lewis leathers) I sustained a broken wrist broken heel and a ripped apart knee, 7 days in hospital and 2 operations 3 months on the sick and about one more to go! If I had been wearing shorts trainers t shirt and no gloves like you see some muppets riding around wearing I would have have survived but with life changing and job losing injuries! You cannot assume that you are so skilled that you wont come off! there is always some ******* who will do something ( like turn in to you, overfill their car/lorry/van and spill diesel, overtake when I they cant safely make it etc etc!)that you cannot avoid!
Old 12-01-12, 10:30 AM   #250
Beefamus

Just a quick questions, looking to get on a to a big bike next few months, been reading the odd post from this topic. seems that a decent (non-standard) back protector is HIGHLY recommended... just wondering how long they last before they need to be replaced?