SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 19-08-07, 08:07 PM   #1
Demonz

Default TV Recommended Roads

I decided to go North today to runaway from the rain - discovered the A413 - what a cracking road. I've ridden it to Ayelsbury before, but boy it just gets better and better as you head further up. I carried on to Northampton for a bite to eat and then back via the A508 which wasnt bad - best bit was it came back on the A413 again... Map

You guys got anymore secret roads around here?
Old 19-08-07, 08:54 PM   #2
Jelster

Default Re: TV Recommended Roads

The best bit of the 413 is above Aylesbury, but not as fast.

YOnce you hit the A43, you can head West, and follow the dual carriageway through a host of quick roundabouts to Brackley, pick up the 422 down to Buckingham and get back on the 413 from there.

Just South of Aylesbury you can try the B4010 at Stoke Mandeville, down through Princes Risborough and down to the A40 at High Wycombe (part of the AR a few years ago).

The other area to check out are the back roads through Ascot, Sunningdale and South Windsor. Not a large area but good for a quick B road scratch to get your bike fix on a Sunday morning....
Old 19-08-07, 11:50 PM   #3
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
The best bit of the 413 is above Aylesbury, but not as fast.

YOnce you hit the A43, you can head West, and follow the dual carriageway through a host of quick roundabouts to Brackley, pick up the 422 down to Buckingham and get back on the 413 from there.

Just South of Aylesbury you can try the B4010 at Stoke Mandeville, down through Princes Risborough and down to the A40 at High Wycombe (part of the AR a few years ago).

The other area to check out are the back roads through Ascot, Sunningdale and South Windsor. Not a large area but good for a quick B road scratch to get your bike fix on a Sunday morning....
One of my favourite roads and on the way to the garage for me as well. Always mob. speed camera vans in the area though!
Old 20-08-07, 12:37 PM   #4
philbut

If you want a ride to really make you poo your pants - or crash horribly, try starting at Princes Risborough, head south east towards parslows hillock, then take pink road to great hampden. Past the village, take a left towards Butlers Cross. Take a brief fag / cleaning poo from seat break outside Chequers (the prime ministers country house) and see if you can spot Gordon Brown. Then head towards Wendover, returning to normality

Loads of blind sharp corners with high hedge rows, herds of cattle in the road (nearly hit them twice now!), glazed tarmac that grips like KY jelly, and generally terrifying road surfaces - ACE!
Old 20-08-07, 07:09 PM   #5
Stig

Newbury to Wantage B4494
Wantage to Ashbury B4507
Ashbury to Lambourn B4000
Lamborn to Childrey B4001
Childrey to Wantage B4507
Wantage to Newbury B4494

Can you tell I like technical B roads more than fast A roads

The B4494 Newbury to Wantage. If you have never done, DO IT. It's very fast in places, very technical in others. And the road surface is always changing. Gravel, wet, slippy. Blind bends, hidden dips, over crest rises. It is also quite well known as a dangerous road and several bikers have never come home after riding it. But so long as you treat it with respect and expect a tractor to be round the next bend, you should be OK.

Riding it both ways is like riding two completly different roads.
Old 20-08-07, 07:11 PM   #6
Stig

I'll have to take some of you guys on the route I take to and from work. B roads all the way baby.
Old 21-08-07, 08:53 AM   #7
KnightRider
Mega Poster

This might be taking the map thing too far, but if anyone wants to send me links to TV ride routes on a google map (in the same way that Gmonsta did) then I will do my best to plot them on our TV map (see the map now for Gmonsta's example). That way new members in the area can find some decent ride routes to test out when they are bored on a Sunday afternoon!

Jon

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-07, 10:01 AM   #8
Stig

That is a good idea.

If we submitted a route that we have previously done with a bit of a write up about the route. Explaining difficult corners or possible dangerous junctions to watch out of.

Maybe a Sticky with separate links to each route map with the author and his description of the route Is that possible
Old 21-08-07, 10:24 AM   #9
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Sounds like a winning plan to me. Newbies like me would definately appreciate a list of decent rides with some comments on things to look out for!

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
Old 21-08-07, 10:35 AM   #10
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Not sure if this is what you were thinking BigApe but this is how I would do it:

- Get everyone to create a new thread for each route and ask them to include a google map for each - this will allow anyone who rides it to give their impressions and comments eg. this is a great pub on the route, lookout for the new speed camera etc etc.

- Create a locked sticky linking to each route thread for easy access.

- I will update the TV map with routes so that everyone can see the routes all on a single map. I can also add a direct link to the original threads for each route to the comments section of each route line.

Let me know what you think,

Jon

PS - have amended the map in line with the above to show you what I mean.

CBR600RR7

Last edited by KnightRider; 21-08-07 at 10:40 AM.