SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-09-16, 07:25 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Why I hate lycra louts

watch.
Old 22-09-16, 07:41 AM   #2
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Default Re: Why I hate lycra louts

I didn't realise you were so easily annoyed.

In the grand scheme of things what harm was caused? Yeah he made a mistake but the driver was only held up for matter of seconds and was going to join the next queue almost instantly.

You see bikers and car drivers do exactly.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 08:20 AM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Misjudgement on the part of the cyclist which they could have so easily excused themselves from with a simple hand gesture both of apology and request to be allowed across..... It's not generally the mistakes that upset people, we are after all human and capable of those, it's the refusal to be humble and accept them that gets me.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 09:12 AM   #4
shiftin_gear98

Bloody Cyclist, you should have run him down. I mean for **** sake what was he playing at!
Liberties.

As someone who cycled for 8 years into and around London, sometimes you misjudge the timing.

When you're blatantly about to go through a red light.
No harm really done.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 09:23 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Yes, we all make mistakes and it is a damn long time since I rode a push bike in anger.

But, I would never consider overtaking or filtering on the outside to enable me to take a left turn. It puts you directly into the path of traffic and just asking for trouble. If it had been a truck rather than my car there was a good chance that he would not have been seen.

A little wave to say sorry mate I fecked up there, thanks for letting me through and I promise not to try and follow my reckless mate again. Would have made one heck of a difference to my thoughts about these clowns.
Old 22-09-16, 09:44 AM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

I don't see the problem. You were aware of him. He was aware of you. And in fact he seemed aware of you being aware of him and therefore moved across.

In terms of unspoken communication between 2 road users, it seems to be a brilliant example. Unless I missed something because I don't have sound here.

A little wave would be nice but it can be difficult to shift your weight off your shoulders to lift your hand whilst pedalling and mid-turn.

And there's a 2 4 1 offer on steak!
Old 22-09-16, 09:56 AM   #7
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Bloody car drivers driving through the hatched areas which you should not enter unless absolutely necessary makes my blood boil.....

Let he without sin and all that...
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 10:34 AM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Absolutely nothing wrong with driving over those hatchings, broken white line around them. They are simply there to encourage drivers coming out of the turning on the left to keep wide so they don't get caught behind any traffic waiting in the dedicated lane to take the M6 towards Birmingham. If anything I'd be critical of a driver (or rider) that didn't use them as the video driver did because the lane markings are clearly encouraging traffic that intends to turn left onto the M6 to keep to the left (the new lane starts immediately after the traffic lights) and thus free up the lane for traffic continuing straight on.

Last edited by Red Herring; 22-09-16 at 10:35 AM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 11:13 AM   #9
Mark_h
Mega Poster

"Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
•If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency."

Depends on whether necessary is the same as convenient.
Nothing dangerous in using them in this scenario, much the same as a cyclist heading to a forward cycle area at a set of red lights is perfectly legit.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 03:37 PM   #10
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Wow. A couple of moments of needing to travel slightly slower on the road after already having had to wait ages at a red light. I agree a thumbs up or thanks from the rider wouldn't have gone amiss, but if that's all it takes to make you HATE a whole group of people who wear certain clothes to cycle that's a bit sad.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote