SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 03-10-10, 12:46 PM   #1
sv4me
Mega Poster

Default Going to Le Mans Moto GP May '11

As title really, me and my brother in law are thinking of invading France next May for the GP.

Plan is to stay near the circuit the saturday night ready for the racing the day after. After that were open to ideas for a couple of days riding and sightseeing in the vicinity. A few people have said Tours is a nice play to go see and then was thinking of going over to the coast and La Rochelle before heading back to Blighty. Its his birthday on race day so somewhere nice to have a few beers after would be welcome

So if anyone has any recommendations for accommodation in these places, better places to go instead, any good roads to include?

Thanks
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 03:51 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Going to Le Mans Moto GP May '11

If you've not been, then its not a huge distance to Mont St Michel from there, you could pay a visit to it either on the way down or the way back.

Dont forget to have a quick blat around the bits of the 24h circuit that are on the public road to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 07:36 PM   #3
sv4me
Mega Poster

Cheers Fizz hadn't thought of there. I went when I was 13 with school so think it's due another visit
Old 05-10-10, 11:15 PM   #4
Sarg

Mont St Michel is nice but very expensive to stay/eat around there. I went in May last year and half of France was shut as its before the holiday season. I have various guides and maps if you want to borrow them. I booked one of those key camp things and got the ferry crossing in with the price which made things very cheap.

Last edited by Sarg; 05-10-10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 11:58 PM   #5
sv4me
Mega Poster

Might take you up on that offer Gaz

Its 300 mile to Dover from here instead of 260 to Portsmouth and its 260 miles from Calais to Le Mans as opposed to 100 miles from Caen. Hmmm and about £150 difference in price
Old 07-10-10, 05:58 PM   #6
jacksuzukisv650

what dates you going and what port you decided to go to i might be intrested in that i went away may just gone around europe but i didnt go to no nothing as speshal as moto gp ..i was a week late at monaco for f1 ..
Old 07-10-10, 08:28 PM   #7
sv4me
Mega Poster

Hi Jack

We've not decided on anything for definite yet but sort of plan is to stay around newbury fri 13th may, get the portsmouth to caen ferry over on the 14th, stay in le mans the sat night, tours the sunday night and get the ferry back home on wednesday/thursday

But we couldnt organise a ****up in a brewery so this will probably change
Old 07-10-10, 09:13 PM   #8
jacksuzukisv650

hmm its a possibilty ill be going that time of year wasnt to hot or cold and the campsites and hotels was cheap in low season witch is good because you can spend more on a nice meal lol france is expensive in places. tolls 4 example i want to go to le mans next year but im probly going to go down to pyrenees and come back home via santander brittania . lovely roads down there and if i time it right ill see the formula 1 .
Old 07-10-10, 09:14 PM   #9
jacksuzukisv650

in monaco!
Old 19-10-10, 01:44 AM   #10
sv4me
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4me View Post
But we couldnt organise a ****up in a brewery so this will probably change
Never a truer word spoken slight alteration to travel arrangements. We're now flying from Manchester to Paris and then picking up an Audi A5 for the week instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksuzukisv650
i want to go to le mans next year but im probly going to go down to pyrenees and come back home via santander brittania . lovely roads down there and if i time it right ill see the formula 1 .
This months Ride magazine has a 3 page spread on touring the Pyrenees via Santander, well worth a read