SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-11-07, 04:47 PM   #1
Colby

Default Diesel Spills - anyone watch BBC Breakfast this morning?

They had an article aboutpeople putting unleaded into their diesels.

They were filming a woman filling her black Megane with diesel. They then showed her pulling the nozzle out with loads of diesel still coming out....

What a silly bint.... no wonder she'd put unleaded in the car in the past....
Old 07-11-07, 05:18 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Diesel Spills - anyone watch BBC Breakfast this morning?

Well I expect there to be fuel spills in the forecourt

But its out on the road that it annoys me. I see trails of what could be fuel spillage every day

And it never gets cleaned up

Matt
Old 07-11-07, 07:06 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

We moan about the price of fuel(see other thread)but it obviously isnt expensive enough if these Fwits can afford to spill it down the road.
The answer is legislation to enforce fuel tanks that cant spill fuel out if overfilled and the vehicle then taken round a corner a bit quick.Oh and a couple of high profile prosecutions of bus and lorry operaters.
Old 07-11-07, 07:28 PM   #4
Xan173

Long story short I almost has a prohibition order placed on a council depot because their contractors were overfilling and spilling.

If you report it, it will get cleaned up. If you wait around for "someone" to do "something" about it, it won't.

I'm sure I'm held in same regard as Victor Meldrew by Bristol Council. But I get results.
Old 07-11-07, 10:42 PM   #5
Ed

Fess up time. A few weeks ago on the M5 my Merc all but ground to a halt - on kickdown the gearbox wouldn't change down again, it jammed in neutral. Scary. Cause was a drain plug had come loose and the gearbox had lost most of its oil. I dread to think where it all went and what might have happened.

But it wasn't deliberate and I didn't know about it. Honest
Old 07-11-07, 11:17 PM   #6
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan173 View Post
Long story short I almost has a prohibition order placed on a council depot because their contractors were overfilling and spilling.

If you report it, it will get cleaned up. If you wait around for "someone" to do "something" about it, it won't.

I'm sure I'm held in same regard as Victor Meldrew by Bristol Council. But I get results.
Top Bloke... good man.
Old 08-11-07, 07:53 AM   #7
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan173 View Post

Old 08-11-07, 09:12 AM   #8
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Fess up time. A few weeks ago on the M5 my Merc all but ground to a halt - on kickdown the gearbox wouldn't change down again, it jammed in neutral. Scary. Cause was a drain plug had come loose and the gearbox had lost most of its oil. I dread to think where it all went and what might have happened.

much damage to the merc??
Old 08-11-07, 09:30 AM   #9
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Very common fault on the mercs (C class is it?) by bad design. Merc should pick up some of the costs for repair.
Old 08-11-07, 10:04 AM   #10
Ed

Yep it's a C200. No lasting damage (that I can tell) - fixed under warranty. I was on the way to Cornwall at the time, and it kept doing it while there, so the Merc garage in Truro fixed it as an emergency, it wasn't safe to drive it home. Scary when you suddenly have no power. I shudder to think what happened to the oil - a gearbox full must be a few litres, no?