SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 15-12-03, 07:07 PM   #1
Jelster

Default Costs - The big one......

Time to get real, what’s this going to cost??

Well, the Ferry (depending which one we catch) will be between £50 & £85

Rooms are 55 Euro each, for 2 people (Hope you don’t mid sharing) which works out about £75 for 4 nights

Allow £20 per day for food etc..

Fuel is a bit cheaper and you’ll be doing about 1500 miles in total (I did 1443 miles last year, door to door), at 35 mpg that’s about £150

So we have:
Ferry_______£85
Rooms______£75
Food_______£100
Fuel________£150

Total £410, so to be sure, say £500

If the number of us going gets bigger we may be able to negotiate some better prices on the ferry.

We need to book the ferry in January, those of you who are definates, please email me and I'll put a "proper" list together. We will need to start thinking about deposit's etc soon....
Old 15-12-03, 07:16 PM   #2
jonboy

Put me down as a definite Steve.

There is one other factor that I'd like to bring in, fast riding in a foreign country can mean big fines, which I believe are on the spot and cash. Naturally I don't want to get caught (nor anybody else) but if the worst happens have you any idea:

1) What the fine is likely to be.
2) Does it have to be cash or can they somehow take VISA etc
3) How much extra cash would be sensible
4) If you can't pay on the spot, what happens

This is not meant to be negative but just trying to account for all possibilities.

Any thoughts peeps?

Old 15-12-03, 07:32 PM   #3
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy

There is one other factor that I'd like to bring in, fast riding in a foreign country can mean big fines, which I believe are on the spot and cash. Naturally I don't want to get caught (nor anybody else) but if the worst happens have you any idea:

This is not meant to be negative but just trying to account for all possibilities.
Right, well I haven't been stopped, and as far as I am aware, Switzerland is the only country that has real "on the spot" fines, and they take plastic (so a mate reckons anyway).

However, having never been stopped, I stand to be corrected.
Old 16-12-03, 04:46 PM   #4
Anonymous

unfortunately not going to be able to play as I cant get anyone to have the kids for any more than 2 days (dont know why they are little angels really)

hope you all have a great time and take lots of phots. have a ball
Old 16-12-03, 07:21 PM   #5
RenamedMonkey

Count me in, haven't booked the days off work yet (Thu, Fri, Mon, Tue) but that will be no problemm in the words of Bazil Fawlty "I am the manager!"

best start saving!
Old 16-12-03, 09:04 PM   #6
Anonymous

Wait for me!!!.......can we have a recap, please.
1. Dates
2. Departure where, when?
3. Costs (just rough)
4. I assume we will be getting away with minimal luggage, i.e. pants not tents!
Sorry if this is all somewhere. Perhaps a posting of the definitive answers is now in order, or are they not yet known.
Cheers
Rich
Old 16-12-03, 09:07 PM   #7
Anonymous

Sorry...that was me!
Old 16-12-03, 09:10 PM   #8
Anonymous

Oh God, sorry!!!
Also dont worry Ill find the info Im just behind on this one.
Rich
Old 17-12-03, 03:49 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy

Right, well I haven't been stopped, and as far as I am aware, Switzerland is the only country that has real "on the spot" fines, and they take plastic (so a mate reckons anyway).

However, having never been stopped, I stand to be corrected.
Well I have been stopped in France! About 8 years ago, I went through a village of about 10 houses without slowing down Because it had a place name sign the 'national urban limit' of 40kph (guess) was in force for the 50 meters of the village. It was a well known spot for the local plod, they pulled loads of motors while dealing with me.

There was an on the spot fine of 900FF (about £120) and sent me to the nearest bank for the cash. My passengers were held to ensure my return! I was breathalysed on my return, presumeably to make sure I had not stopped for a stiffner!

I have also heard of the Gendarmerie checking times between tolls on the Autoroute (from tickets) and working out average speed and handing out a fine. I do not know anyone who suffered this fate, so it may be an urban myth.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-04, 10:18 AM   #10
Anonymous

I may be being thick here, but are we talking about an overnight ferry? If so we are going to need at least decent seats (like those comfy ones you can book) with the amount of riding we have the following day, don't you think? Personally I never sleep properly just crashing somewhere. I suppose the wimpy like myself could book cabin.
Rich