SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-07-06, 08:56 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default Jensen Button, part 7: "The final, final showdown"

Although I follow all sports to some extent, I've pretty much given up on F1 these days - it is so artificial! Even so, I am getting quite excited at the prospects of yet another Jensen Button battle.

First we had: "I don't want to stay at Honda, I want to join Williams", followed a year later by "I don't want to join Williams, I want to stay at Honda". It's getting like the Rambo movies . I wonder what he wants now (espec as Rosberg and Webber blow him away)?

What he NEEDS is a smack in the face with a six pound haddock. The man - correction: child - is an overpaid moaning tosser who can't race....the Max Biaggi of F1.
Old 16-07-06, 11:40 AM   #2
Peter Henry

Mr.Willy I think you do Max very badly with this comparison.

Interesting that perhaps the only driver with a little personality and cojones to speek his mind has had enough of F1. Yeah Montoya is away to play in Nascar.

Button for me is a joke,
Old 16-07-06, 01:47 PM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Jensen Button, part 7: "The final, final showdown&q

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ockx
Although I follow all sports to some extent, I've pretty much given up on F1 these days - it is so artificial!
I haven't watched F1 for a while, but I happened to catch most of today's race. I just have one question......................Why do people pay good money to go and watch a boring procession of cars round a track? Very little over-taking..............if any..................and often the race decided on who has the best fuel strategy. What a load of cr*p.

Compare that to the fabulous, nail-biting, down to the wire MotoGP which was on just before, and it's like comparing a ten course banquet to a slice of dry bread!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-06, 06:20 PM   #4
Peter Henry

F1 just have no idea how to create a spectacle to be honest. I cannot understand how the droves of fans turn up week after week when most action takes place in the pit lane and the majority of track side fans would miss that!

They really should encourage some way of making the sport more competitive. Then it would really be a matter of the top drivers coming out on top and not those with the best technology available to them.

Technology plays it's part of course in Moto GP but not I suggest to the detriment of the sport. This season for example has been the most competitive for some years.
Old 16-07-06, 08:30 PM   #5
trickywoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
F1 just have no idea how to create a spectacle to be honest. I cannot understand how the droves of fans turn up week after week when most action takes place in the pit lane and the majority of track side fans would miss that!
Same as the world cup- sponsors free tickets. You wouldn't believe how many of us filled up one of the grandstands at Silverstone!!!
But I love F1, yup it's dull as watching paint dry at the moment, but just to hear them is amazing.....would still recommend going to Goodwood to see them tho!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
Compare that to the fabulous, nail-biting, down to the wire MotoGP which was on just before, and it's like comparing a ten course banquet to a slice of dry bread!
I think there was a snide remark on Eurosport...something like "Beat that Magny Cours"
Old 16-07-06, 09:32 PM   #6
Peter Henry

Ah yes I can agree they do have sexy sounds. But I would rather pay for a CD than go along to watch a race. :P
Old 17-07-06, 11:33 AM   #7
rpwoodman

Years ago I went to see a F! race, but it was rubbish! YOu had no idea of who was winning, and you only realised someone had crashed when you realised you'd not seen them for 20 mins.
I think most tracks are better now, in that they have big screens etc, but it's turned into a very dull sport.

I don't see how anyone other than Bernie Ecclestone makes any money out of it.
Old 17-07-06, 09:58 PM   #8
Vfr400

I went car racing this weekend(The shame of it) But i did get to see the original Mario Andretti '78 championship winning Lotus 79 (no 3 of 5) yep the best looking F1 car ever! it was amazing to see how basic it was just 1 switch on the steering wheel on and off!! at least then it was usually the most talented driver that won, not the best car/ race strategy/fuel load.

Al through having the genius that was Colin Chapman in your pit helped a bit

chris
Old 17-07-06, 11:06 PM   #9
aej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfr400
I went car racing this weekend(The shame of it) But i did get to see the original Mario Andretti '78 championship winning Lotus 79 (no 3 of 5) yep the best looking F1 car ever! it was amazing to see how basic it was just 1 switch on the steering wheel on and off!! at least then it was usually the most talented driver that won, not the best car/ race strategy/fuel load.
Nice sentiments, but seriously bad example!

As big a fan of Mario as I was, it has to be said that the 79 was the first successful ground effect F1 car which took aerodynamics to a whole new level. Added to that, restrictive practices in No. 2 driver contracts weren't invented by Ferrari in recent years - Ronnie Peterson, probably the fastest driver of his generation, was grateful for the work and happy to follow team orders before paying the ultimate price in that same season and never achieving the championship he was more than capable of.
Old 17-07-06, 11:14 PM   #10
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Best thing they could go to F1 would be ban the wings, less need to stay back cause the airflow gets disrupted, and make the race shorter with no pitstops...

No actually the best thing they could do with F1 would be put Bernie Ecclstone in front of the grid and let the drivers run him over, I'd pay to watch that little cretin get splattered all over the track...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote