SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-09-04, 07:13 AM   #1
Shinsei Jutsu

Default any ideas?

Last night whilst waiting at the large roundabout at the top of Badgers Mount to go, the woman behind me didn't look to see if I had gone and drove into my rear .
I got here details and stuff and at first glance it just seemed to be very minor damage (number plate off but no damage to it, and the rear light bracket bent upward a bit), but on my way to work this morning the gears felt wrong and at one point when I revved to overtake someone the bike jolted and didn't gain speed (kinda like when you have water in the front plug). Made me worry and I wondered if the chain could be loose, or rear wheel alignment wrong, or some damage to the sproket etc.
I dunno much, but any help would be good. I'm going to the mechanics tonight, but any ideas on what I should expect?

Cheers all, oh and good morning
Old 21-09-04, 07:44 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Your doing the right thing about getting a proffessional to look at it. Just give it a quick once over yourself and make sure there is nothing obviously bent or broken and take it really easy going to the mechanic.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-04, 07:50 AM   #3
Jabba

Yeah - dom't take any chances with things mechanical on a bike - we're vulnerable enough as it is without contributing to our own downfall

It could be simple - something like the rear wheel/sprocket being knocked out of alignment - to something more serious like a bent swing arm or pivot.

At least you have her details - well done.
Old 22-09-04, 07:07 AM   #4
Shinsei Jutsu

Well the mechanic had a look at the bike last night and couldn't find anything wrong apart from the light, number plate and a slightly wonky wheel.
He corrected all the stuff, and said that it was probably psycological and there was nothing wrong with the bike.
I did another 10 miles or so last night and thought he might be right, but this morning I had a few little probs. I changed into third from fourth as I came to a roundabout, it was clear so I went straight across and as i opened up nothing happened. It revved but no extra speed, and then it slowly picked up.
Had the same sort of thing later coming away from some lights, I changed up into second and it jumped a bit as if there was water in the front plug (I know that feeling it's happened a lot).
He might be right, there might be nothing wrong with the back end. Could all these problems be from some water still being in the front plug, or that the front plug isn't connected properly.

(that was longer than I thought it would be)
Old 22-09-04, 08:11 AM   #5
Cloggsy

Get in touch with your insurance people & tell them about the accident pronto - get your bike in for a proper inspection & get it fixed - don't forget, she hit you up the ar5e, her fault - no effect on your no-claims

Don't forget witnesses - were there any If so, did you get their details too
Old 22-09-04, 08:13 AM   #6
Shinsei Jutsu

well I'm off to see doctors about neck pain tonight, so I'll call the insurance people after that.
None of the witnesses wanted to stop at all, busy roundabout and they all wanted to get home from work . Ah well take it from here I guess. So much hassle that I don't need
Old 22-09-04, 12:18 PM   #7
Iansv

Got rear ended on my 125 years ago...

Had knocked the rear wheel out of alignment and damaged one of the sprockets while wasn't initially noticed...

Definatly best to get it thoroughly checked
Old 22-09-04, 12:20 PM   #8
Shinsei Jutsu

Had the wheel realigned, but didn't really look at the sprockets. did notice that the rear one is aluminium though. Is it worth replacing it with a better one?
Old 22-09-04, 01:05 PM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsei Jutsu
Had the wheel realigned, but didn't really look at the sprockets. did notice that the rear one is aluminium though. Is it worth replacing it with a better one?
I'm sure it is if you're not paying for it

Take advantage of the dozey cow
Old 22-09-04, 01:08 PM   #10
Iansv

Yeah definatly get what you can...

The person who rear ended me paid up for repairs and I got a service done at their expense by way of compensation as he didn't want it to hit his insurance