SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-05, 11:14 AM   #1
shutdown

Default Bleedin salt!

Was cleaning the bike yesterday and noticed how much salt is caked on the engine...and I mean caked!

I usually rinse the bike down after a ride but didn't get a chance when I last rode it.

The damn stuff has baked on and looks nasty. Whats a good salt remover? I use Muck off to clean the bike but even that didn't cut through it.

I'm really annoyed with myself for not cleaning it as I feel it's ruining the bike having to use the bike each day at this time of year.
Old 28-02-05, 11:54 AM   #2
Grinch

I know the feeling.. I though my engine casing was peelin off, turned out it was salt casin. Oh and think my right brake is binding again, probably due to the salt, will have to strip it off and clean it now.
Old 28-02-05, 11:58 AM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

I think hot water will be best for dissolving the salt off, hose off, then wash with shampoo as normal. The hot water will help soften/dissolve the molasses that's mixed with it, which is probably the real problem causing it to "cake" so much.

Can't help thinking there ought to be a public debate about this molasses business, not sure if it's a brilliant idea on balance.

Someone pointed out that hot salt solution will corrode stuff at a faster rate than cold solution, but I tend to think it's better to try to get it off as best you can, it'll soon get cold anyway.

Scottoil FS365 is claimed to have some "anti-salt" action, though I have no personal experience of it.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote