SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2008 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2008 SV650.org's annual rideout.

Old 23-05-08, 11:33 AM   #1
stewie

Default Border Patrol ride in

As I write this, its 6 weeks to the day when most of us will be traveling down to the AR, as we cover such a large area does anyone have any thoughts about travelling down together, meeting up with the Pennine massive,meeting other groups on the way, going individually ? and what about routes ? discuss

Last edited by stewie; 23-05-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 23-05-08, 11:43 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Border Patrol ride in

I have my route planned. It's a nice twisty ride down there and will take all day on the Friday. It's a bit sketchy south of the Severn crossing, so would take comments happily. Anyone is welcome to join me on the ride, meeting on the way or from the start.

Return trip will be a bit more direct as I will be tired.

EDIT: it seems tinyurl has been flagged by Zonealarm as a spy site, so not everyone can see the link above. Here is the full url for thos that cannot see the original:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...,12.041016&z=7
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 23-05-08 at 11:54 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-08, 09:05 PM   #3
MR UKI (1)

Having done 20 miles on the A50 today and enduring the windblast, anything which avoids motorways sounds brilliant. Wouldn't mind joining you on the Friday run down Luckypants
Old 25-05-08, 06:54 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
It's a bit sketchy south of the Severn crossing, so would take comments happily.
Mike, if I was you, I would get to Bristol and then pick up the M32 then stop at Fowlers in Bristol for a cup of tea and then take the A37 all the way to Podimore, quick hop down the A303 follow signs for Illchester and then onto Yeovil and you'll be at the campsite.

Or Alternatively stay on the M5 till J23 for Bridgwater, then follow the A39 then at Street take a right and follow the road to Somerton and then that'll come out at Illchester, then follow signs for Yeovil and you'll be at the campsite.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-08, 08:47 PM   #5
Ed

Stop at Fowlers? Sounds a good idea - nice cafe, only prob is they have so many things that I always want to buy I bought my bike there, it'll be going home!! TBH going via Fowlers would suit me fine cos I need to go via Bristol anyway, to collect Fran.

No way am I staying on the M5 to J23, it ain't gonna happen. I hate that motorway, the Severn Bridge will frighten the hell out of me (don't like high and windy bridges either), and that will be enough torture for one day. I will be doing the A37 piece.

On leaving Shrewsbury - I was thinking of leaving about 11am ish, maybe a bit later - it's only 2.5 - 3 hours to Bristol. Perhaps we could all meet at Shrewsbury Services, at the junction of the A5 and A49? Route:
  • A49 to not quite Ross-on-Wye
  • A4137 to the A40
  • A40 to Monmouth - we could meet Luckypants here
  • A466 through the Wye Valley to Chepstow (nice bit of road this, bit narrow around Tintern)
  • A48/M48 across the Severn Bridge
  • M4/M32 into Bristol City Centre
  • Stay on the inner ring road straight to Fowlers
  • http://tinyurl.com/52fqx8
I then have to hop up to Clifton with darylB to collect Fran, it's 2 miles max, doesn't take long (on a bike). Then, depending on whether other people are travelling at the same time, meet up again at Fowlers for a ride down the A37. Or, darylB and I could go straight to Fran's house, pick him up and then meet up with everyone at Fowlers.

Last edited by Ed; 25-05-08 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Map added
Old 26-05-08, 01:43 PM   #6
stewie

I may well join you on this route Ed, have just booked the thurs night, night shift off so was thinking of leaving around 10 am ish, will let you know.
Old 27-05-08, 10:17 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Mr UKI - no problem.

ED stewie et al we can try and meet at Monmouth or Fowlers.

Fizz thanks, sounds like a better idea.

I'll keep an eye on this thread but will be out of the country 11th-25th June, so only really get back about a week before the AR, so will try to fit in with you guys.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 08:54 PM   #8
mac608

Finally got dispensation to attend - not been told what its going to cost me, especially as I am going to Germany early September for a Wheeltrax tour as well- so can I meet up with Mr Ed and whoever at Shrewsbury Services?
mac608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 10:50 PM   #9
Ed

Yessir. Will be leaving about 11 maybe 11.30. Idea is A49, stop at Hereford for a break, I gotta find a cafe but it's a biggish town so I'm sure there'll be something. Then on to Fowlers - NB it can be a bit of a bugger to find the way in unless you know where it is, if you've come through Bristol City Centre then when you get to the Bath Road roundabout (can't miss it, it's on the river just past Temple Meads station) you turn right into York Road alongside Fowlers, then after about 150 - 200 yards you turn left and left again to the end. It doesn't have a huge car/bike park so we might need to park up on the roadway or opposite in the yard for their parts department.
Old 11-06-08, 01:40 PM   #10
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac608 View Post
Finally got dispensation to attend - not been told what its going to cost me, especially as I am going to Germany early September for a Wheeltrax tour as well- so can I meet up with Mr Ed and whoever at Shrewsbury Services?
Ey up Mac, do you want to meet up and ride to Shrewsbury together mate ?