SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-13, 09:48 AM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Amitriptyline

Anyone on here taken it? I have been prescribed it to help prevent monthly migraines. Only on a tiny dose of 10mg which I am due to double to 20mg in month 2. So far I have been free of all the listed side effects, and this month I have had a dull headache rather than a migraine, so all good.

But I have been having awful nightmares. Really vivid, waking me up feeling totally spooked. I'm not normally the type who remembers my dreams so this is not normal.

I just wondered if anyone on here had taken it and had similar experiences?

Happy for you to PM me if you'd prefer not to discuss on an open forum.
Old 01-03-13, 09:58 AM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Amitriptyline

I have used it for chronic pain control and did not get on with it. I found that more than 10mg made me feel like a zombie and made me sleep so heavily that my alarm barely stirred me. As for nightmares, not a chance. I think that my brain simply shut down with in twenty minutes of taking it.

I am on Lamotrigine now instead which seems to do the job a little less aggressively even though is an older medicine.

Good luck, I can vouch for Migraine being utterly vile and life limiting at times. With out getting too personal, a friend of mine found that a change in her hormonal balance caused her monthly migraine attacks and this was then controlled through getting on the pill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 09:59 AM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Funny stuff to be giving for migraine.

It's an antidepressant. And yes, I've taken them for depression.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 10:42 AM   #4
Geodude
Mega Poster

Yep taken for depression also for about a year but didnt get on with it at all but once on it you cant just stop taking it as you need to be weaned off it, just stopping taking it can be bad (or was in my case) I ended up like a zombie also dizzy spells, constant tiredness, confusion, lack of libido i could go on. I know they use it these days for migrane and pain treatment so worth a go if it works but i found it dumbed me down too much HTH

Edit it also made my nightmares worse imo

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Last edited by Geodude; 01-03-13 at 10:43 AM.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 10:43 AM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

It is mostly given as an anti-depressant but research has shown that it can lessen the severity of migraines so I said I would give it a try. I am a bit concerned that if they up the dose then I will sleep right through 'Farming Today' each morning and then be totally uninformed about milk quotas and new types of sheep dip.

I have noticed the post op pain in my achilles seems to have lessened in the last couple of weeks and wonder if that is related.
Old 01-03-13, 10:49 AM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

They made me totally fuzzy headed, and full of cotton wool. I like to be in control not feeling like I'm tripping my box off. Couldn't work nights on them, as I slept for England. Feeling like my braincells were frying is quite hard to describe.

I'm always very concerned about antidepressants being given for anything other than that. I've never been the same since being on any of the antidepressants I was given. Messing with your brain is never good imo. Sure, they're there to fix you.....but with dire side effects and consequences not noticed whilst whilst getting well.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 01-03-13 at 10:51 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 11:19 AM   #7
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
I have noticed the post op pain in my achilles seems to have lessened in the last couple of weeks and wonder if that is related.
This is why I was proscribed it, albeit for pain in different place

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I'm always very concerned about antidepressants being given for anything other than that. I've never been the same since being on any of the antidepressants I was given. Messing with your brain is never good imo. Sure, they're there to fix you.....but with dire side effects and consequences not noticed whilst whilst getting well.
I have been down the AD route too and have vowed never to take them again. I did not enjoy the experience. I am currently taking an anti epilepsy medication for pain control and that really messed with my perception when I first started taking them. Kept me off my bike for a couple of weeks that did!
Quote:
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 11:29 AM   #8
robh539

Hello lph. Never taken that, but all the different drugs I have taken in the last few years be it pain killers (with you've see me on) or other mind altering drugs yes in my experience. Altering the chemical balance no doubt will have a effect for a while, your body will get used to it. My vivid dreams have stopped now as they changed my drugs since my operation, but the first night in hospital was awful couldn't work out reality to dream.
Old 01-03-13, 12:44 PM   #9
Shawthing

Yep. Was prescribed for Atypical Facial pain attacks ( second cousin to Migrane ).
Unfortunatley did not stop the attacks or severity.
10mg and went up to 20mg but no improvement.

Only take just before bed time as they Cause serious drowsyness.
Never take during the day.
I did get very good sleep when on them though.

What does seem to have helped reduce the attacks though is using a single Orthoaedic Pillow for better neck support through the night. Might be worth a try.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.

Last edited by Shawthing; 01-03-13 at 02:35 PM.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 02:35 PM   #10
DanAbnormal

Yes I had a spine operation back in July and was prescribed it. It's a pain modifier and also when used in higher doses an anti-depressant but also a relaxant. I used to get really messed up dreams too. Other than that the side effects were very little.

Dan