SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-19, 09:43 AM   #21
Othen

Default Re: Where to sell a K3 SV1000N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Best call it £1950 then
Good fortune.

Alan
Old 10-03-19, 08:09 PM   #22
Othen

Default Where to sell a K3 SV1000N

I was curious as to what SV1000s might be making (I might be looking for one myself once I've completed my bike garage building project in the summer) and so have been tracking a few on eBay. This quite nice 2003 S with 36,000 miles failed to get a bid of £1200:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SV...rdt=true&rt=nc

I'd probably have bought it if the garage was finished and I had somewhere to keep it.

Last edited by Othen; 10-03-19 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-03-19, 09:39 PM   #23
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Sold today for £2k. Very happy buyer. Like I said, very few unmolested nakeds about.

Various left over bits will be on ebay shortly.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 10:12 PM   #24
Othen

Well done!
Old 12-03-19, 05:13 PM   #25
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Sold today for £2k. Very happy buyer. Like I said, very few unmolested nakeds about.

Various left over bits will be on ebay shortly.
Was about to chime in and say it's worth £2k all day long, you'll always have cheapskates after a bargain telling you it's only worth what they just so happen to have in the bank.

The thou is everything the 650 isn't. It loses the asthmatic, anemic performance issues of its little brother and has nothing but benefits from the get go. It's rare, even rarer in naked form, and they're gorgeous, sound great, have semi gear driven cams, a massively under stressed engine...etc. There's minor niggles like the clutch basket, rear shock usually being over-sprung and it doesn't cosmetically wear well in year round use - but nothing a vibe free mod and a regular rinse won't sort. The fact you can literally bolt in various GSXR front ends and have the job completed in around 2 hours is fantastic and makes the bike a great modding tool that can easily be reverted. A truly fantastic, underrated bike that has so much potential for so many applications.

So, in conclusion - glad you got what you wanted for it. I personally couldn't part with mine, love it far too much! Hopefully the images below will work.

Old 12-03-19, 06:02 PM   #26
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
The thou is everything the 650 isn't.
What?

They look identical apart from the engine casings. Sound very similar (some might say the 650 sounds better). Both have under stressed bullet proof engines. They both easily accept GSXR bolt ins. The 650 has way more aftermarket parts and of course second hand parts. The 650 handles better, has better mpg. Power wise the sv1000 isn't really up there with most 1000's
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 06:10 PM   #27
Mega Poster

HAHA...handles better. Yeah, alright.

All spoken like one of those experts that never even sat on a thou, let alone owned one for long enough to give an educated opinion on it.

Do be quiet.
Old 12-03-19, 06:21 PM   #28
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I have actually done a fair few miles on a naked thou. I also had a 650 with the exact forks you have on yours. The 650 definitely feels nimbler and lighter. Turns in easier

What about the other points you glossed over? No need to be rude if you can't make a proper argument
Old 12-03-19, 06:36 PM   #29
Mega Poster

Well I'd love to know about this "the 650 has way more aftermarket parts". But tbh, it's boring going back and forth and - like many things in the world - people will argue the toss over stuff without ever conceding, so we might as well save our time and just agree to disagree. But having said that...I'll bite...

I'll take my years of use on both pointy and curvy 650's and both SV1000's I've owned, all in various guises of stock and far from stock, and remain strong in my opinion that the 650 (while having a fun bottom end in the rev range) runs out of puff almost immediately, looks malnourished, has incredibly poor quality, non-adjustable forks and one of the worst, bounciest shocks in motorcycle history, hilariously bad sliding calipers and has a speedo driven off the front wheel (not that it's a major issue, but makes putting an alternative front end on a slightly bigger ballache), is wirey and requires some pretty serious money thrown at it to make it something special and also isn't quite the handling masterpiece that people crack it out to be....and that the thousand makes up for all the shortfalls of the 650 by providing fully adjustable, non-sealed cartridge forks (pre 05) with very decent Tokico 4 pot calipers (that are easily made into immense brakes with a good MC such as a Brembo RCS19) a surprisingly good rear shock that mostly just needs a lighter spring for the bulk of riders (again, fully adjustable and can be revalved easily), an engine that has ridiculous levels of torque from the get go, right through to the rev line, looks like it's been in steroids and down the gym for 12 months non-stop, has a far stronger engine from a far better lineage, doesn't require any daft speedo wires or brackets and magnets to stick an alternative front end on...etc, etc etc.

It's the better bike.

And in response to thou not having the power of other thousands...well, the 650 rarely has power in the same range as other 600-700cc motorcycles. But like the thou, it makes up for it in low end power - albeit, the thou continues that power through to the redline and will stomp on most things when it comes to the twisties, assuming both riders are of equal skill, simply due to the sheer brute force of the engine anywhere in the rev range.

Good enough for ya?
Old 12-03-19, 07:05 PM   #30
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Forks so good they got replaced

Yeah that speedo bracket is a nightmare...

Quote:
looks like it's been in steroids and down the gym for 12 months non-stop