SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-04-08, 10:53 AM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Saving money/cutting back

Well I wrote about this a few months back, I couldn't find the thread well its an effort for me to go through the 900 threads I'm on

Well I have managed to cut back my overheads, moving to a cheap house single room just about have enough room to swing a cat in there, (must remember single bed and not too fall out when I flip over) I nearly fell off the top bunk a few years back, but I was very drunk pints of JD and coke will do that to ya Got a good deal on my cell phone, can use the train to work as well so that free.

My phone now cost me £20/month for 18 months for 1100 minutes ace

I worked out that I cut my out goings down by about £100-120/month may be a bit more not sure until later this year. The next big thing is bike insurance in August so will be looking for a good deal.

So by making some changes to my life and cutting back, its possiable but I'm giving up a hell of lot things to carry on what I want to do. Some anyone out there looking to cut back it can done!
Old 27-04-08, 11:10 AM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: Saving money/cutting back

This is all very good, but if you use the train, then sell the bike, saves petrol, tax and insurance...where does it end?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 11:23 AM   #3
metalmonkey

Why would i sell my bike, the whole point of this is I can spend more money on bikes and also save money for other things, what I'm getting across is I'm giving up many other things to able follow my own dreams.

I want to inspire other people to do the same. I have been going through a really rough patch right now, felt really down the other day. But anything is possiable, I guess it depends on how much you want it.
Old 27-04-08, 11:37 AM   #4
markmoto

Also depends on how hard you want to work for how much money! i mean if you can work less hours and have more social time and still live comfortably then why not! Everyone can cut back on stuff they dont realy need to allow them to either work less or spend more on the pleasures of life i,e Bikes well done blue thunder sounds like you have made the right move for you.
Old 27-04-08, 11:43 AM   #5
husky03
Mega Poster

Doing the same-garage clearout-stuff on ebay, gonna get one of those meters that show how much gas,electric your using, slowed the driving speeds right down to save fuel, cooking in bulk and freezing so its just a case of micro waving during the week,shopping around for special offers on the food and signed up for discount codes on the internet.
Considering getting a bio-diesel kit from ebay -300 bangers outlay but with the way things are going with the fuel it could look like a good investment-89p litre with new veg oil, 7p litre with used -need to do more digging.

husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 11:46 AM   #6
metalmonkey

Oh where do you get the discount codes from? Any links I'll go for that. I have no shame, I stood by the discount fridge waiting for the guy to reduce some steak in there was a bargin.
Old 27-04-08, 07:43 PM   #7
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
single bed
even giving up on the ladies in pursuit of money saving? some would say a step too far...
Old 27-04-08, 07:48 PM   #8
Ed

One really good way is to cut up all your cards and use cash. If you get out however much you want ONLY and stick to it, it's amazing all the crap you don't buy cos you can't afford it. Cards give you a false sense of wealth.
Old 27-04-08, 08:31 PM   #9
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
One really good way is to cut up all your cards and use cash. If you get out however much you want ONLY and stick to it, it's amazing all the crap you don't buy cos you can't afford it. Cards give you a false sense of wealth.
Thats a great system. We called it the envelope system. Had an envelope for expenses, food, rent, phone, beer money etc... got me through uni without any loans - worked my butt off though. Also made me better at budgeting and saving.
Old 27-04-08, 08:37 PM   #10
chakraist

I've been doing this recently, my job pays my rent, bills and petrol to work and £80 extra (I do 21 hours a week) and I should be able to clear my student overdrafts before I graduate which is rather tasty.